[solved] I need help creating a properly dimensioned drawing from a PDF/Image file

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Pilot1927
Newbie Member

[solved] I need help creating a properly dimensioned drawing from a PDF/Image file

Post by Pilot1927 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:24 pm

Hello everyone and thank you in advance!

My ultimate goal is to take a fishing scene from a pdf and cut it on a plasma CNC machine for a gate. The dimensions are very specific. I have tried probably 10 different cad programs and I can get elements of what I need, but I cannot complete the project with the desired accuracy. Here is what I have tried so far:
1) In Solidedge 2d I am able to take the image, place the proper boarder with the proper dimensions, but I cannot get this image file to show up in Sheetcam. I realized that I have to create a drawing from the image, which Solidedge cannot do. So then I tried to get the image traced.
2)Taking the pdf and using an image trace tool with Draftsight. This allowed me to get a good trace and I can get this into Sheetcam. The problem now, is that it does not keep the proper dimensions. I have tried to scale the dxf file in Sheetcam, I can get close, but not as accurate as needed.
3)I have tried to alter the dxf file in QCAD, but I cannot figure out how to alter the entire drawing. I can change only elements in the drawing.
4) I have tried to create an image file, then have it converted online to a dxf file, but again, I loose the proper dimensions.

Here are the dimensions I am trying to achieve:
Top length: 47.5"
Bottom length: 53.75"
Height: 9.125"
Length of top legs: 4.125" @ 45 degrees
For the legs, the top corners are clipped, I do not have the length of the sides perpendicular to the base, but with the other dimensions it should be achievable. In my model, it should be 5.625"

The file: GatePanelFinal.1.1.dxf should have the proper dimensions and outline that I need.

I have been struggling with this and I am at my wits end. I am sure that I am missing something. As an self taught drafter I have tried to figure this out, but I realize that I really need help. I am sure that someone here has the solution, or at least options to try. I appreciate your time in reading this and look forward to discovering what I am missing!
Attachments
GatePanelFinal.1.1.dxf
(180.51 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
GatePanelFinal.3.0.bmp
GatePanelFinal.3.0.bmp (3.49 MiB) Viewed 1682 times
FishingSceneForGate1_Fisherman in a boat and mountain landscape_1.jpg
FishingSceneForGate1_Fisherman in a boat and mountain landscape_1.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 1682 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: I need help creating a properly dimensioned drawing from a PDF/Image file

Post by Husky » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:13 pm

Hello,
Pilot1927 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:24 pm
Here are the dimensions I am trying to achieve:
Top length: 47.5"
Bottom length: 53.75"
Height: 9.125"
Length of top legs: 4.125" @ 45 degrees
For the legs, the top corners are clipped, I do not have the length of the sides perpendicular to the base, but with the other dimensions it should be achievable. In my model, it should be 5.625"
Long story short - somehow your measurements are off. If I follow your description I get a drawing like this:

Husky-2022.04.24-04.png
Husky-2022.04.24-04.png (14.19 KiB) Viewed 1673 times

As you can see the sides are not perpendicular to the base. I assume the length 47.5" or 53.75 are not accurate. Or the 4.125 ... ? :wink:

Pilot1927 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:24 pm
The file: GatePanelFinal.1.1.dxf should have the proper dimensions and outline that I need.
Hmm - but the dxf doesn't represents the measurements in your description ....

Husky-2022.04.24-05.png
Husky-2022.04.24-05.png (16.49 KiB) Viewed 1673 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Pilot1927
Newbie Member

Post by Pilot1927 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:15 pm

Hello and thank you for your responses!

1) I see what you mean, the total height of the panel is not 9.125", so my dimensions are off.

2) I still am in the same boat though, the current dimensions of my drawing are not the issue. My issue is with the process in which to modify the image file then creating a dxf file with the proper dimensions in order to process it through SheetCam.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:58 pm

Pilot1927 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:15 pm
My issue is with the process in which to modify the image file then creating a dxf file with the proper dimensions in order to process it through SheetCam.
To fit in the FishingSceneForGate1_Fisherman in a boat and mountain landscape_1.dxf you need to scale it. I don't have the dxf but it looks to me that the ratio is different what means you have to scale the x and y axis differently. Not a big deal. Open in QCAD both drawings, copy / paste the Fishing Scene into the other drawing and scale it until it fits.

Husky-2022.04.24-06.png
Husky-2022.04.24-06.png (60.29 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Pilot1927
Newbie Member

Post by Pilot1927 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:41 pm

Husky,

Thank you! I think I am getting much closer! I don't know why I was stuck thinking that I had to scale the whole image. I made the "frame" and have been scaling it to fit. My mind was stuck on one track, thank you for freeing it up!

Solved Solved Solved!

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”