How to open from and save to a Windows partition

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

KL7SKA
Registered Member

How to open from and save to a Windows partition

Post by KL7SKA » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:02 pm

New to Linux (latest UBUNTU) and QCAD pro (latest version). 20+ year Windows and Visual CAD user. Wish I had found QCAD sooner, it is MUCH less expensive and appears to be better. Created a dual boot Windows 10 home and Linux system till I get used to Linux only and find one additional critical software that I have not yet found for Linux. Downloaded and installed QCAD pro on both Windows and Linux systems. Have drawings on Windows NTFS D partition / physical drive. All other programs that I have tried in Linux so far are able to read from and save to that drive via the +other in my /home/bob directory. QCAD does not show the +other. Is there a way to open from and save to that partition. QCAD does open drawings if i click on the drawing icon in /home/bob +others, but will not open from within QCAD or save. I prefer to keep Windows for a wile longer and always want my data on a separate physical drive.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: How to open from and save to a Windows partition

Post by andrew » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:21 pm

Linux usually "mounts" disks and partitions somewhere in it's file system tree. Perhaps under /media or /mnt or similar.

The +other option in the file dialog is very likely a feature of your Linux distribution or window manager and since QCAD is not part of that, it cannot use that.

lphilpot

Re: How to open from and save to a Windows partition

Post by lphilpot » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:34 am

It's been a while, but as Andrew pointed out Linux can mount NTFS volumes. I think you'll need to install the cifs-utils package if it's not already installed:

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install cifs-utils
Then you can test mount it using the 'mount' utility and then when the options are right, add it to your /etc/fstab to mount automatically. I presented my NAS volume as both CIFS and NFS, so I it mounted it via CIFS on Windows and NFS on Linux.

Like I said, it's been a while since I did this (and I'm running Windows now). But to the best of my recollection this procedure looks pretty close: https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-mount- ... -on-linux/ Between the Linux 'man' pages and Google you should find the answer pretty quickly. Also be aware that saving a file in Windows can change the permissions when accessed in Linux. Quite often many files on an NTFS partition come across to Linux with execute permissions, whether the files are intrinsically executable or not. It doesn't hurt necessarily, just be aware of it.

Also, there may well be automated / GUI ways of doing this now, but I started too long ago :wink: and discovered the power of the command line. So I never went GUI with a lot of system level stuff.
Len
QCAD Pro

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”