How do I place multiple attributes in a title block

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Wilko500
Newbie Member

How do I place multiple attributes in a title block

Post by Wilko500 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:48 pm

Version:3.27.1.0 (3.27.1) running on macOS Monterey 12.2.1

I am new to QCAD but have extensive experience in using AutoCad (rev 13) and DratfSight. I am trying to migrate my A4Landscape PaperSpace layout to QCAD. I have created a Layout Block which contains boxes for multiple attributes eg. Title, Date, Scale, Filename etc. This prints out exactly as I require ie on A4 page with 8mm border for use on my laser printer.

When I attempt to add attributes it appears that they are not attached to my title block. I want to be able to edit all attributes in the property editor as shown in Andrew's video. In the video that attributes are already created and that's the bit I cannot get.

I know the subject has been covered (in part) but I have been unable to find the list of steps required anywhere. I am aware of the Define Block Attribute (UA) command and can create attributes with it but as I said they are not attached to the block.

I would be grateful for some help

Thanks

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: How do I place multiple attributes in a title block

Post by Husky » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:59 pm

Hi,

I assume you created a block "Title block", correct?
Wilko500 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:48 pm
When I attempt to add attributes it appears that they are not attached to my title block.
Go to the block list, open the block "Title block" in edit mode (right mouse click on block / Edit Block), define all block attributes, switch to paper_space and insert the block "Title Block". If you then select the block "Title Block" in your Paper_Space you will be able to change the attributes with the Property Editor.

Should look similar to this example:

Husky-2022.03.05-04.png
Husky-2022.03.05-04.png (44.89 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

KHE

Post by KHE » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:45 am

I have tried the below explanation many many times and I can get multiple entities to show up in the property editor. I can see two block with attributes on the screen but they simply will not show in the editor. Is there a point by point example of this procedure
(1) eg. ....
(2) eg ....

I must simply be missing something.

Wilko500
Newbie Member

Post by Wilko500 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:51 pm

Thank you Husky. Issue solved.

For the benefit of anyone else who is struggling as I was let me explain where I went wrong.

I created my "TitleBlock" using the Create block from selection, BC. When the block is created this way the entities selected are deleted and the newly created block is placed on the drawing instead. Then using Define block attribute, UA the attributes are created but are not attached to the block.

The actual steps are:
1. Create blocks from selection
2. Delete the block from the drawing - this is what I missed out
3. Select block from blocklist
4. Edit block, BE
5. Create one or more attributes with Define block attribute, UA
6. Then insert block into drawing, use toolbar insert block on Block List window - and this
7. Then in Paperspace select block and use property editor, GP, the multiple block attributes are shown (at bottom of property editor window

Very grateful for your assistance

KHE

Post by KHE » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:44 am

Thank you Wilko 500
Your point formed solved my issue. Where did you find out to delete the title block? I tried everything (at least I thought I did). Anyways I did a sample tonight and it worked. Great
I forgot to mention I am using Version 3.26.4 Windows 11

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:11 am

Wilko500 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:51 pm

I created my "TitleBlock" using the Create block from selection, BC. When the block is created this way the entities selected are deleted and the newly created block is placed on the drawing instead.
It sounds like you worked it out. You are correct that when you turn selected items into a block, a block definition is created and that original instance then becomes a reference to the block definition. However, if you click on the “Synchronize Attributes” (UY) feature, it should update your original and add the attributes to it as long as you switched over to the block definition and created the attributes there. Does that make any sense?! :shock:

One way to avoid this is to just create a new blank block and draw your title block in it rather than in your primary model space. That way you can add your attributes right away without worrying about deleting anything.

Wilko500
Newbie Member

Post by Wilko500 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:38 pm

KHE wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:44 am
Where did you find out to delete the title block?
KHE wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:44 am
Your point formed solved my issue. Where did you find out to delete the title block?
I didn't find it. It was something of an inspirational guess based on years of working with AutoCad. Glad it sorted you out.
ryancousins wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:11 am
One way to avoid this is to just create a new blank block and draw your title block in it rather than in your primary model space. That way you can add your attributes right away without worrying about deleting anything.
Point taken. I could have done that but was trying to shortcut the process as I already had a block just as I wanted except for attributes.
ryancousins wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:11 am
If you click on the “Synchronize Attributes” (UY) feature, it should update your original and add the attributes to it as long as you switched over to the block definition and created the attributes there. Does that make any sense?!
Yes it does make sense thank you.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”