Transferring .DXF files to a GIS program

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Kat
Registered Member

Transferring .DXF files to a GIS program

Post by Kat » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:46 am

I am just learning QCAD professional. I am trying to draw precisely measured carparking spaces as polygons in QCAD and then overlay them on a street map that is created in GIS (using the QGIS software). I can't work out how to give the .DXF files a geolocation before I open them up in QGIS, so that they come into my street map at the right location. When I try to import the .dxf files from QCAD into QGIS their location and scale is way off my map and has no relation to it. The world coordinate system I am using in QGIS is EPSG:28355, as that suits my location in Australia. Can someone give me some step by step instructions please?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Transferring .DXF files to a GIS program

Post by andrew » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:30 am

In what coordinate system (CRS) are you drawing the parking spaces in QCAD?

Kat
Registered Member

Post by Kat » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:35 am

Hi and thanks for responding. I am not sure what coordinate system i am using. I am relying on the QCAD introduction book. I guess by looking at p.74 of the book that I have used absolute Cartesian coordinates. Attached is a screenshot of the different size carparking spaces (2.1m x 5.4m, 2.1 x 6m and 2.1m x 6.3m) I have drawn, if that helps.
Attachments
parking spaces.png
parking spaces.png (60.03 KiB) Viewed 1934 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:22 am

I'd recommend to draw those parking spaces in a known CRS in QCAD. You can then specify that CRS when importing into QGIS. The CRS to use is the first thing you need to define.

Somehow, the software needs to know where in the world these features are located. The way to do this is usually by deciding what CRS is used and drawing the features in that CRS.

As DXF and DWG are CAD formats and unaware of the CRS in use, you might want to indicate the CRS in the file name for your own reference (e.g. mydrawing_EPSG_3857.dxf).

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”