Merging two dxfs and matching scales

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

PeteG
Newbie Member

Merging two dxfs and matching scales

Post by PeteG » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:27 pm

I'm relatively new to QCAD and still on the learning curve so apologies for any seemingly obvious questions.

So I found some handy templates for borders, including text boxes etc, but I can't work out how to match them scale-wise with the drawing so I can import one and then fit it round the drawing? Btw I do drawings at full scale whereas the borders are set for paper sizes, so for larger drawings do you reduce the drawing down or scale the border up? Either way, how do you do it?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Merging two dxfs and matching scales

Post by Husky » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:38 pm

In QCAD there are two fundamental methods to print. Directly out of Model_Space or out of Paper_Space. It sounds to me you are going to print out of Model_Space and my answer relates to that method ...
PeteG wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:27 pm
... for larger drawings do you reduce the drawing down or scale the border up? Either way, how do you do it?
The drawing stays always 1:1! You have to scale the border accordingly to the print scale. Example: If your plan is to print your drawing in 1:10 your border has to be scaled 10 times up (10/1). Tip: Put your border etc on a separate layer - makes your life easier ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

PeteG
Newbie Member

Post by PeteG » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:08 am

Thanks Husky. Yes I have layers aplenty and I'm aware that all drawings are done 1:1 but that goes for the border too so I still don't get how you have stuff on different layers at different scales but on the same drawing?? How do you merge them? Even if you have the border on its own layer, there doesn't seen to be a way to scale the layer?

Also, on the subject of layers, having set them up as I like them on a drawing, how can I duplicate them into a new drawing and not have to redefine them all again?

J-J

Post by J-J » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:47 pm

Also, on the subject of layers, having set them up as I like them on a drawing, how can I duplicate them into a new drawing and not have to redefine them all again?
Create a template with all the basic layers you need and tell QCAD to select it when creating a new drawing
JJ Win7 pro-64

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:05 am

PeteG wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:08 am
... drawings are done 1:1 but that goes for the border too so I still don't get how you have stuff on different layers at different scales but on the same drawing??
Ok, in other words ...
You are right - there are no different scales for the layers. If you need to scale the drawing for printing ALL layer are effected by the same scale.
Unfortunately that is also your problem. Remember: You need to scale the main drawing to make it fit perfectly on a piece of paper but the scale effects also your border drawing what means in our example (Print 1:10) the border would be 10 times to small. To counteract you have to draw the border 10 times bigger than real world measurements.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

PeteG
Newbie Member

Post by PeteG » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:36 pm

You say you have to draw, or re-draw the border? That's the issue really, I don't want to have to redraw the border, that's the whole point of having one pre-drawn isn't it?! I should be able to do my drawing of whatever at 1:1, be that a grain of rice or a supertanker, and then when I'm happy with it I bring in or import a pre-drawn border which I can scale (separately) to fit nicely around it, or to which I can scale (separately) my drawing to fit in it.

Perhaps I'm not seeing it straight but the fact that there are predrawn borders available must mean this process is possible, somehow? I just don't get how you marry together, say, an A3 border with a drawing of something which is bigger than that, for example, a house?

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:44 pm

PeteG wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:36 pm
Perhaps I'm not seeing it straight but the fact that there are predrawn borders available must mean this process is possible, somehow?
Yes of course.
PeteG wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:36 pm
I just don't get how you marry together, say, an A3 border with a drawing of something which is bigger than that, for example, a house?
I'm under the impression that I can't find the right words to explain the process to you. Sorry for that. Maybe this tutorial is more helpfull to you ...

https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-printing#D ... Dimensions

PeteG
Newbie Member

Post by PeteG » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:39 am

Hmm that tutorial still doesn't really explain it?

The only way I've found so far to do this is to import the border onto the same sheet as the actual drawing but beside it, then select it and scale it, then move it over the top of the drawing to combine them. Is that the solution?

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”