Properly Changing from Metric to Imperial Units

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

sendderek
Registered Member

Properly Changing from Metric to Imperial Units

Post by sendderek » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:46 pm

I've finished my design using metric units (Drawing Preferences -> General -> Drawing Unit -> Drawing Unit: mm; Paper Unit: mm). I'm attempting to load the DXF file into my CNC software (Torchmate), which is setup to use inches. When importing, the drawing is massive. It seems to be taking 200mm and interpreting it as 200in (16' - 8").

Okay, so I figured it is a simple task of changing the drawing and print unit to "Inch" (Drawing Preferences -> General -> Drawing Unit -> Drawing Unit: Inch; Paper Unit: Inch). Using 'Dimension Tools', a dimension that was 210.5mm is now showing as 17' - 6 1/2". In other words, it's 210.5in.

I expected it to convert from mm to inches. In this example, 210.5mm should be updated to 8.29in (210.5 / 25.4 = 8.29).

I could potentially use the 'Scale' tool to scale it to what I would expect in inches, but I wonder if there's a better way?

Thanks in advance!

sendderek
Registered Member

Re: Properly Changing from Metric to Imperial Units

Post by sendderek » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:58 pm

Just so others see, I did use the 'Scale' tool, specified .03937 as the scale factor, and it looks like it worked. I updated all of the drawing dimension properties to inches as well.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:24 pm

Hi, there is also Convert Drawing Unit (CU).
You may find it under the edit menu.

Regards,
CVH

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:37 pm

QCAD has a function called "Convert Drawing Units". Maybe you like to try it below: Menu / Edit / Convert Drawing Units (CU) ... :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”