[solved] Cannot select individual drawing elements

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

RogerRamjet
Newbie Member

[solved] Cannot select individual drawing elements

Post by RogerRamjet » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:21 pm

I created a drawing last night and everything worked as expected. Saved it, shut-down the computer.

Now when I open the drawing this morning...

1. When I try to select an individual element like a line, or text, the entire drawing "grays-out" instead of only the target element.
2. Also, when I double-click on some elements, I'm suddenly zoomed-in on that element in another area on the drawing. It appears that I don't know what double-clicking does.

I'm guessing that I'm stuck on some mode that I'm unaware of.

Not sure I'm explaining my issues very well since I don't yet know the QCAD "vocabulary".

TIA,

QCAD Pro, v 3.26.4
Win10 Pro

ryancousins
Premier Member

Re: Cannot select individual drawing elements

Post by ryancousins » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:49 pm

Without having a copy of your file to mess with, it sounds like you created a block from some or all of the parts of your drawing. If you want to make everything it's own separate entity again, select everything (clicking once on any of the entities in question will automatically select all of the entities that may have been grouped together in your block) and then choose "explode" in the block menu bar, or use the keyboard shortcut xp

It also sounds like you might have "edit block reference in place" enabled, which you may or may not prefer and may be leading to some of the confusion. We can deal more with that but first lets makes sure you can fix this first issue.

Are you familiar with blocks? If not we can help you figure out what that's all about so you better understand what may actually be going on here and how you can use it to your advantage in the future.

RogerRamjet
Newbie Member

Re: Cannot select individual drawing elements

Post by RogerRamjet » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:27 pm

Ryan,

You nailed it. I exploded the whole drawing (sounds bad, but worked good;)

Now I'm back to where I want to be.

I need to spend some time in the manual in order to be able to ask intelligent questions. But for now, your answer put me back in business.

Thanks a bunch

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”