[solved] Inheriting hatch patterns

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

GrowMate

[solved] Inheriting hatch patterns

Post by GrowMate » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:04 pm

Windows 10 laptop: Qcad version 3.25.2.0 (3.25.2)
Does Qcad allow a hatch to be "inherited" from one part of a drawing and used in other parts that have completely different shapes?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Inheriting hatch patterns

Post by Husky » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:27 pm

Hi,

I'm not sure that I understand what do you mean with " inherited" ...

Anyways. You can use in the same drawing the same hatch in different shapes as often as you like.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

GrowMate

Post by GrowMate » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:50 pm

Sorry for any confusion. "Inherit" is the term adopted by Bricscad which I use back at the office. What that allows me to do is to 'clone' different solid colours already contained in a cad illustration and copy them across to new sections of the illustration I am working on. This is quicker than having to identify and re-enter their RGB values. I had some idea Qcad had a similar facility via the Property Editor, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:03 am

Ok, now we are on the same page ... :wink:
GrowMate wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:50 pm
I had some idea Qcad had a similar facility via the Property Editor, but perhaps I'm wrong.
No you're not, but QCAD has a little different approach to solve that task.

Note: Common praxis in CAD is to use a layer for a (solid) hatch. The layer has to be set up with your specific RGB values. Means - before you draw a new shape which then needs a solid hatch just make the corresponding layer active and the color is provided by the layer.

Referring to your case:
If you have already multiple solid hatches in your drawing which then need to have all the same color just select all of them and change in the Property editor to the specific layer or if the layer does not exist at this moment you can create a new one during this process too.

To come close to your "Inherit" tool you can use the "Property Painter" which will use a bunch of attributes to transfer them from one to an other entity. Layer is included :wink:
Just select the "target(s)", multi selection possible, launch the Property Painter tool (PI) and click the source entity.

Property Painter.gif
Property Painter.gif (183.55 KiB) Viewed 2939 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

GrowMate

Re: Inheriting hatch patterns SOLVED

Post by GrowMate » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:48 pm

Thanks Husky. That works. The missing ingredient was the Property Painter which I did not know existed and is an extremely useful tool!

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”