Text Height vs Font Height/Size

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

johan162

Text Height vs Font Height/Size

Post by johan162 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:02 pm

In the text edit dialog there are two different text sizes.

1. The text height in the left side of the dialogue
2. The font size in the property bar

While I can make it work the logic behind this eludes me. Especially the correlation with the text size in the actual dialogue.
I have concluded that the rendered text size in the drawing is controlled by the Font size (in the propery bar). However the (pre-view) size in the dialogue is dependent on both Height and the Font size and sometimes the text gets incredible small in the dialgue but then renders fine.

In the two attached two figures is an example of what I tried to explain. Both renders in the exact same height but as can be seen the dialogue size is invers proportional to the height.

The logic here eludes me (but it is probably just me being slow). Can someone shed some light on this?
Text-30-10.png
Text-30-10.png (61.45 KiB) Viewed 2979 times
Text-15-10.png
Text-15-10.png (66.92 KiB) Viewed 2979 times

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Text Height vs Font Height/Size

Post by andrew » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:09 am

The main font height is the initial or default font for the text. This should be the height of the majority of the text or all of the text.

You can select a part of the text and change the height of only the selection using the height choice at the top. (e.g. ABC123DEF).

The preview scales based on the main font as this is the font the text should be mainly using. If you create a text at a height of 100, but format it all down to 1, the preview will indeed be very small.

I'd recommend to also have a look at the "Source" tab, there you can see how inline text formatting actually works in DXF/DWG based CAD systems.

If you don't need any inline text formatting at all (i.e. the whole text uses the same font and height and there are no line feeds), simply switch to "Simple Text".

johan162

Post by johan162 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:04 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Would it be possible to slightly increase the "normalized" text size in the dialogue? At least on modern MacBook the normalized text (when the height is the same as the font size) is very small and hard to read.

(I usually use 2*Heigh as font size to get a reasonable rendering in the dialogue)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:24 am

I'll add a preference for the next release.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”