[Solved] Template applied to multiple pages of paper space

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Jash
Newbie Member

[Solved] Template applied to multiple pages of paper space

Post by Jash » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:41 pm

Hello,
How do I apply my template to all new pages created in the paper space.

My current solution is to with copy and paste all template objects to the new page (Not always fast, especially is other CAD objects have been placed within the template), or to create a library item with the template and pull that onto the new pages (a bit faster, but still prone to not being placed in the perfect location if not careful).

My ideal solution would be to have an option so the template is automatically applied to new multiple pages as they are added or removed from the paper space, also the possibility to count total template windows applied and number appropriately (i.e. page 3 of 4 shown on the 3rd page if 4 pages were added to the paper space).

Windows 10 Pro OS
QCAD Professional Version 3.22.0.0

Thanks for your help.

Jash
Last edited by Jash on Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Template applied to multiple pages of paper space

Post by Husky » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:54 pm

Hi Jash - welcome to the QCAD forum.

I think your goal can be easily reached .... with the right road map :wink:
Maybe you have to rethink a few things but still doable ...
Jash wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:41 pm
My ideal solution would be to have an option so the template is automatically applied to new multiple pages as they are added or removed from the paper space, also the possibility to count total template windows applied and number appropriately (i.e. page 3 of 4 shown on the 3rd page if 4 pages were added to the paper space).
I'm a bit confused with your used terminology. I'm sure that is just me!
Questions: What do you mean with template? Is that your drawing frame, Title Block etc used for printing out of Paper_Space?
Meaning of "added or removed from the paper_space": Your main drawing isn't in Model_Space? Do you also design in Paper_Space?
Could you provide an example dxf of your case to be on the same page?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Jash
Newbie Member

Post by Jash » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:50 pm

Hi Husky - glad to be here.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your help.

I am very certain that any confusion is due to either my improper use of terminology, or improper or inefficient use of QCAD workflow.

The template I speak of is a mostly cookie cutter drawing frame, which consist of our company name, the drawing authors name, current revision, page number, and an open area to place elements designed in other blocks. All models are designed in the model space, then a viewport is added to show the model in the paper space. The template allows our drawing to be printed on 8.5x11 pages. Our drawings also include additional information such as assembly instructions and tables that are created in their own block an inserted into the paper space from the block list. Often we are not able to fit all elements of the drawing into a single page and another page will be added. I am hoping to have our blank drawing frame on all new pages of the paper space.

Unfortunately it is against our company policy to export DXF without direct approval from upper management, if this can be avoided I would like to not involve them at this time. I have attached a picture from the QCAD tutorial website that looks very similar to our drawing frame.

My goal is to be able to be able to add another page to my paper space using the multiple pages menu, and have our drawing frame shown on new pages, instead of manually adding our drawing frame from a copy saved in our library. The page numbers updating on their own would be a bonus, however I understand this may not be able to be automated.

I hope this clears up any confusion, please let me know if I am still being unclear

Thanks again for your time.

Jash
Attachments
Template Example.png
Screenshot from https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-working-with-layout-blocks-and-viewports
Drawing components removed to show only drawing frame.
Template Example.png (445.51 KiB) Viewed 3554 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:06 pm

Hi Jash,
Jash wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:50 pm
I hope this clears up any confusion, please let me know if I am still being unclear
Yep, that helped a lot.
I'll prepare an example which I think comes close to that what you are looking for. I'll be back soon ... :wink:
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Husky

Post by Husky » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:16 am

Jash wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:50 pm
My goal is to be able to be able to add another page to my paper space using the multiple pages menu, and have our drawing frame shown on new pages, instead of manually adding our drawing frame from a copy saved in our library. The page numbers updating on their own would be a bonus, however I understand this may not be able to be automated.
Ok, as a start point ...

Create a drawing template with all basic layer and blocks like my example. This template can be used directly as a default template (Menu / File / New) in QCAD Pro or also as an separably loaded template.

Structure:
Create all basic layer which should be used for new drawings.
Create one layer for "Number of pages". This layer will be used to tell the total number of printed pages.
Create all blocks for title block etc etc.

Model_Space: Rectangles are used to have a limited area for new drawings. They are not plottable. If you like to place standard Viewports - that is possible too but depends on the drawing typ. For my example drawing I placed already the Viewports.

Paper_Space: Set up 1-X Pages with drawing frame, title block etc etc. My example assumes that the drawing could consists of 1 to 3 pages.

Husky-2021.06.19-05.png
Husky-2021.06.19-05.png (27.55 KiB) Viewed 3496 times

Design the drawing. If your drawing exceed one page use the next limited area for a second page. In my case I needed two pages.

Husky-2021.06.19-06.png
Husky-2021.06.19-06.png (13.76 KiB) Viewed 3496 times

Switch to Paper_Space. Note: QCAD will only print areas which are covered by white page(s). Everything else will be ignored. In my example I set the Multi page setting to two.

Edit block "Number of pages". This block has only one number. It is used to complete the Page statement. Static text in Paper_Space for "Sheet" is 1 / , 2 / , and 3 / . Changing the block with the actual page count will complete the statement to 1 / 3, 2 / 3 and 3 /3. I agree - it is not automated but it works ...

Template.gif
Template.gif (4.28 MiB) Viewed 3496 times

Jash
Newbie Member

Post by Jash » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:24 pm

Husky wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:16 am
Switch to Paper_Space. Note: QCAD will only print areas which are covered by white page(s). Everything else will be ignored. In my example I set the Multi page setting to two.

Edit block "Number of pages". This block has only one number. It is used to complete the Page statement. Static text in Paper_Space for "Sheet" is 1 / , 2 / , and 3 / . Changing the block with the actual page count will complete the statement to 1 / 3, 2 / 3 and 3 /3. I agree - it is not automated but it works ...
:idea:

Yes... this is great. I had not considered to just have the drawing frames present on the paper space. This will totally eliminate the possibility to misplacing additional drawing frames.

Really appreciate you taking the time to help me out, Husky!!

Thanks again for your help

Jash

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”