How do I space object evenly along straight/curved lines?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

sebeachy
Newbie Member

How do I space object evenly along straight/curved lines?

Post by sebeachy » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:53 pm

For context I'm trying to make a pattern to use for leatherwork. I'm using small circles to represent a punch hole, and need the holes to be spaced 5mm apart. After I have made a line how do I set it up to evenly space the holes every 5mm, around curves and such? Thank you!

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: How do I space object evenly along straight/curved lines?

Post by Husky » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:13 pm

Hi,
sebeachy wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:53 pm
After I have made a line how do I set it up to evenly space the holes every 5mm, around curves and such? Thank you!
Copy your "hole" (Circle) to the clipboard with CP. Paste the "hole" back to your drawing with "Paste along entity" - use your already existing line for a proper placement.
When you launch the tool "Paste along entity" (PE) an option bar will pop up. Check for the correct settings ... :wink:

Husky-2021.06.06-02.png
Husky-2021.06.06-02.png (6.84 KiB) Viewed 4019 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

sebeachy
Newbie Member

Post by sebeachy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:28 pm

You da man Husky! Thank you very much! To extend on that question, is there a way to count how many "objects" (holes) there are around the entire entity? Also, is there a way to take the length of the entity if it was say, a circle, and somehow stretch it out into a strait line with the same length/number of objects connected to it?

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:51 pm

sebeachy wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:28 pm
To extend on that question, is there a way to count how many "objects" (holes) there are around the entire entity?
Yes. Select in the appropriate area all entities and the Property Editor will list the quantity of every entity.

Husky-2021.06.13-01.png
Husky-2021.06.13-01.png (99.52 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
For the selection you can use the common Selecting tools below Menu / Select or more sophisticated the "Selection Filter" below Menu / View.

sebeachy wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:28 pm
Also, is there a way to take the length of the entity if it was say, a circle, and somehow stretch it out into a strait line with the same length/number of objects connected to it?
Not sure that I understand your question. Please provide an example dxf with a before / after situation for clarification. Thanks.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

sebeachy
Newbie Member

Post by sebeachy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:08 pm

Sorry for the confusion. Lets say I had a circle that has a circumference of 25mm, and a circle every 5 mm around the circumference. There are 5 circles. How could I take the circle and transform it into a line that is 25mm long while still having a circle every 5 mm along the now strait line? I'm sorry if this sounds too confusing, I'm bad at putting things into words.

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:36 am

Ok, I've good and bad news for you. QCAD can't transform that circle with the smaller circles to a line with those circles. That was the bad news. The good news is that that is not the end of the story ... e_surprised

If you select the larger circle the Property Editor will present the circumference of that circle. Select and copy that value into your clipboard, launch the line tool and paste the content of your clipboard into the Length field - place the line in your drawing. Select one of the smaller circles, copy it into the clipboard, launch the "Paste along entities" tool (we already talked about that tool ...) and place the content of your clipboard along the line. Delete the last circle on your line - done.

Husky-2021.06.13-02.png
Husky-2021.06.13-02.png (36.25 KiB) Viewed 3902 times

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”