format of "ruler"

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

StanB
Newbie Member

format of "ruler"

Post by StanB » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:54 pm

Sometimes my ruler series shows 5 0 5 10 15 ... which works fine for drawing project plans
other times it shows 8 0 8 1-4 ...... which is useless for most anything
Other times it shows o 1' 1'6" ...(something like) which is great for workshop flor plans
Problem is I don't even know what to call it so I can search for answers.
What is it named and where can I find information on how to set it?

ryancousins
Premier Member

Re: format of "ruler"

Post by ryancousins » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:17 pm

I believe it is just called the ruler. The units that show up are based on the "drawing unit" you have set. You can change the drawing unit for the current drawing by going to Edit>Drawing Preferences>General>Drawing Unit. You can set a default for all future drawings in a similar manner by going to Edit>Application Preferences>Defaults For New Drawing>Drawing Unit.

You can set the way those units are displayed (fractional, engineering, architectural, etc.) by going to Edit>Drawing Preferences>Dimension>Dimension Settings>Label Format>Linear Dimensions. Just like drawing units, you can make this change apply for all future drawings in the same area under application preferences.

As you zoom in and out, the increments will increase and decrease, with each drawing unit being subdivided. By default the grid (the dots) and the meta grid (the lines) will adjust automatically. You can change this by going to General>Grid>Grid Spacing or Meta Grid Spacing under the drawing or app prefs.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”