Is QCAD suitable for my use?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Emanuele
Registered Member

Is QCAD suitable for my use?

Post by Emanuele » Fri May 14, 2021 11:19 am

[Linux RHEL 7/8 - Windows 10 - Qt 5.12 - QCAD?]

Hi, I'm a Qt developer and I'm working on an application that includes some drawing and editing features.

I haven't seen QCAD in practice yet, but I'm going to install the trial version and do some experiments. By studying the features I have already been able to verify that QCAD already does many things I need. However, I have not been able to figure out if it can meet the more specific requirements of my program.

Broadly speaking, the program should integrate in the app window a drawing and visualization area of one or more networks. Networks information are stored in a database sql.
The network is made up of blocks (rectangles and circles) connected to each other by lines. The connecting lines have one or more labels with values. The user can change these values ​​and trigger the update through calculations that the program runs.

There should also be the possibility to make selections, cut & paste, add objects, link them, etc.

Do you think it is possible to do such a thing using QCAD?
If it exists, could you please show me some examples of Qt apps that integrate QCAD?

Thank you!

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Is QCAD suitable for my use?

Post by andrew » Fri May 14, 2021 5:18 pm

Possible, yes but not straightforward. You would be looking at a serious investment to learn QCAD scripting and tweak QCAD to your needs. Most QCAD developers adjust QCAD to suit their specific needs rather than trying to integrate QCAD into something existing. I'm not aware of any examples to integrate QCAD into an existing application.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”