[solved] Mouse for Qcad

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

kinross
Newbie Member

[solved] Mouse for Qcad

Post by kinross » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:54 pm

Hello. I would like to ask if any members can recommend a mouse with wheel to work on Mac Pro 5.1 running High Sierra. I have an apple mouse without wheel and I find that if I accidentally move my fingers the drawing goes into orbit and I use a lot of time trying to get it back and to the same scale. I am new to cad and maybe not using it correctly but I would like a wheel. I am tryin to draw a simple track plan for a model railway.
Any help with mouse would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Mike.

ryancousins
Premier Member

Re: Mouse for Qcad

Post by ryancousins » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:17 pm

There are mice out there marketed specifically for CAD, like the CADMouse from 3D Connexion, or the Logitech MX series of mice. But I think the difference between your Apple Magic Mouse and any old $20 mouse with a scroll wheel will make a huge difference. I have a Magic Mouse, too, but it collects dust in a closet because of the same reasons you mentioned. I have a couple cheap wireless mice from Microsoft and Logitech and they're all fine. If you're doing a lot of detail work then one of the fancy "CAD" mice might be totally worth it, but any old scroll wheel mouse might be plenty to do what you want to do.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:19 pm

If you are using an Apple "Magic Mouse", you will have to adjust your mouse navigation settings under:

Edit > Application Preferences > Graphics View > Navigation > Mouse wheel zoom factor

1.02 should work OK for magic mice which are extremely sensitive.

Any decent mouse with three buttons (a middle mouse button that acts also as a wheel) will do. You will likely find that also more convenient for other applications.

kinross
Newbie Member

Post by kinross » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:00 pm

Thank you for your input. Will investigate the various mice available on line. I only work with Qcad and am just beginning. I have printed off the excellent tutorial by Andrew Mustun and read it on a need to know basis.
I have Fusion 360 on my computer but quite honestly it is beyond me. Maybe because I am knocking on in years.
Thanks again.
Mike.

Bilal_AU

Post by Bilal_AU » Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:04 am

andrew wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:19 pm
If you are using an Apple "Magic Mouse", you will have to adjust your mouse navigation settings under:

Edit > Application Preferences > Graphics View > Navigation > Mouse wheel zoom factor

1.02 should work OK for magic mice which are extremely sensitive.

Any decent mouse with three buttons (a middle mouse button that acts also as a wheel) will do. You will likely find that also more convenient for other applications.
Thank you so much Andrew. I had the same problem. Your solution totally solved it

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”