config file custom name parameter

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

ryancousins
Premier Member

config file custom name parameter

Post by ryancousins » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:28 am

I'm wondering if there is a way to specify a alternately named .ini config file besides "QCAD3". I was experimenting with having an alternative configuration based on my use situation, for instance, to have some of my widgets over on my 2nd monitor when I don't have something else taking up the 2nd screen besides QCAD. I can use the -config parameter to put a separate config file named QCAD3 in a different directory, but I'm wondering if I could just have them in the same directory and just name them differently and have the -config parameter be able to target a config file that doesn't have the standard "QCAD3" name? Maybe there is not a way to do that? I'm not having any luck trying to specify a specific config file using a target in Windows; it just creates a new folder with that name with a QCAD folder inside, with a QCAD3 config file inside of that.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: config file custom name parameter

Post by Husky » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:18 am

To my knowledge:
Different ini names in same directory - nope - will not work.
Same ini name in different directory's - yes, works. Your intention to use a different set of settings should work. At least in Windows ...

Question:
How did you tell QCAD where to find the "not standard" ini directory?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:48 pm

Husky wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:18 am

How did you tell QCAD where to find the "not standard" ini directory?
I created a shortcut in Windows and in the "target" I added -config and then the link to new directory. The full path won't show in the image below but it is:

"C:\Program Files\QCAD\qcad.exe" -config C:\Users\my_user_name\AppData\Roaming\QCAD\custom_config_directory_name
Attachments
config.png
config.png (19.17 KiB) Viewed 2921 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:08 am

Ok, I failed with that destination too. I guess that is a permission issue ...

I was successful with a target like "C:\Program Files\qcad-3.26.2-pro-win64\qcad.exe" -config C:\custom_config_directory_name
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:35 am

I was probably mixing things up a bit because I created the shortcut on my home computer but I was responding to your post on my work computer and I have to run QCAD portably on my work computer but I was trying to remember and type out the path I used at home. Where I put "QCAD" in both the program path and .ini target path should probably both be "qcad-3.26.2-pro-win64" since that is probably what the folder is named when you do a normal windows install. I'd have to look when I'm home later. When I downloaded the ZIP/portable version for work I renamed the folder "QCAD" to make things shorter so sorry that may have messed you up. :oops:

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”