font list

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Solo318i

font list

Post by Solo318i » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:11 am

2 questions about fonts.
1. How do I get rid of the fonts that are a foreign language? There has to be a better way to sort them out.
2. Is there a list somewhere of the fonts that would be best for a plasma table (like stencils)? I have become decent at editing different fonts for my plasma table, But a quick and dirty stencil font would be cool on occasion.
Thanks as always.

CVH
Premier Member

Re: font list

Post by CVH » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:35 am

Hi,
That are two distinct questions in a topic ... :wink:
See Forum rules ...
Solo318i wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:11 am
1. How do I get rid of the fonts that are a foreign language?
Examples please ...
If that are CAD fonts included in QCAD, one can remove these from the QCAD font folder.
But I presume these get restored every update.
Excluding system fonts would be done on system level or with a dedicated system font file manager.
Solo318i wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:11 am
2. Is there a list somewhere of the fonts that would be best for a plasma table (like stencils)?
No specific lists, fonts are fonts.

Besides some CAD fonts, QCAD relies on the fonts you have installed on your system.
About any TTF will do. But there are TTF's, and then there are TTF's.
As engraver I crossed many poor coded TTF fonts ... :roll:

What you probably mean: Are there fonts with ties included?
Yes, I know of one that is standard included: KochiGothic_with_ties

Other specific fonts for your purpose can be sourced online.
The choice is fully up to you. Any fee and license too. :wink:

I presume that managing font-files is not the scope of QCAD, using them is.

Regards,
CVH

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:04 pm

How do I get rid of the fonts that are a foreign language?
If you go to Edit>Application Preferences>Draw>Text, you can check the "Use reduced selection of fonts:" box and then go in an de-check any fonts you don't want to show up in your font lists inside of QCAD. This might take a while at first to go through and determine the fonts you don't want but once you do it once you'd be good to go. Note that this preference area shows both the CAD line fonts (installed in the font folder inside the QCAD program folder) and the system fonts that are installed on your computer. For me at least, all of the CAD line fonts show up first in the list.

If you are on a Windows computer, you should be able to go to your "font settings" and it will show you a preview of all of your system installed fonts. This will give you a quick visual way to see which fonts you want to get rid of inside of the QCAD menus. There is a similar app on a Mac called the font book.

On a side note, inside the examples folder there are some files that show the different line types, line weights, etc. Perhaps I could make a similar file that shows a sample of all the CAD fonts and I could make that available. It might be a handy reference to see what they all look like at a glance.

Solo318i

Post by Solo318i » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:45 pm

On a side note, inside the examples folder there are some files that show the different line types, line weights, etc. Perhaps I could make a similar file that shows a sample of all the CAD fonts and I could make that available. It might be a handy reference to see what they all look like at a glance.

That's what I'm looking for. I want to know what they look like so I can go in and turn off the ones I won't use.

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:34 am

Here is a drawing that should show all of the QCAD line fonts (CXF filetype) that come with QCAD. I also included a TrueType Font that seems to be included in QCAD's font folder (osifont). Also, there are two fonts (ltypeshp and qcadshp) that have CXF files in the font folder and show up in the font list in Edit>Application Preferences>Draw>Text, however they do not appear in the available fonts in the dropdown menu inside the font creation tool by default. If I choose "Use a reduced selection of fonts” and then check them manually, they then appear as available fonts, however, when I try to use them nothing appears. So I'm not sure what those are about.
Attachments
QCADFonts Examples.dxf
(189.88 KiB) Downloaded 385 times

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:04 am

ltypeshp.cxf and qcadshp.cxf are the shapes that goes with linetypes.
gdt.cxf is rather new and presumed to be the tolerance icons.

Excluding/including under QCAD doesn't work out with a font file manager.
If you are into fonts that is.

Also:
One can simply edit CXF font in QCAD with File .. Open :wink:

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”