Very Basic Querstions

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

brianm
Registered Member

Very Basic Querstions

Post by brianm » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:42 am

I am brand new to QCD. In the attached copy of a screenshot, how do I do the following basic operations:
. remove the very short line segments drawn from the circumferences of the 4 circled points to the centres of the circles (requirement to have blank space inside the circles)
. for the line bearing 36 deg 27 min 40 sec distant 35.70 I wish to define this as BLACK, CONTINUOUS, 0.5mm line weight.
. for the line above and parallel to the previous line define as BLACK, ISO DASH, 0.5mm.
. for the line above and parallel to the previous line define as RED, CONTINUOUS, 0.5mm.

QCAD Version: 3.26.1
Attachments
Screenshot (10).png
Screenshot (10).png (104.57 KiB) Viewed 3336 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Very Basic Querstions

Post by Husky » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:26 am

brianm wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:42 am
. remove the very short line segments drawn from the circumferences of the 4 circled points to the centres of the circles (requirement to have blank space inside the circles)
You could use the "Breack out segment" tool. Launch the tool and left click on the short line segment inside the circle.
brianm wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:42 am
. for the line bearing 36 deg 27 min 40 sec distant 35.70 I wish to define this as BLACK, CONTINUOUS, 0.5mm line weight.
. for the line above and parallel to the previous line define as BLACK, ISO DASH, 0.5mm.
. for the line above and parallel to the previous line define as RED, CONTINUOUS, 0.5mm.
Common praxis in CAD is to provide those attributes with a layer. How? Set a layer with the desired attributes like color, line style, line weight, make the layer active and draw the segment. If something goes to a wrong layer don't worry to much about it. You can change it any time.
In this tutorial is the use of layer in CAD explained:
https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-working-with-layers
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

brianm
Registered Member

Post by brianm » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:37 am

Thank you, "Husky", for your very useful advice.
I have jumped straight into the deep end with this small surveying task, with minimal reading of the available references. I have NEVER used a CAD package before, but have a basic understanding of what can be done with such packages.
I have been able to plot each of the constituent lines (~12-15), but they are currently ALL in a single layer with identical characteristics. I wish to have each of the individual lines defined by COLOR, STYLE (continuous, broken), WEIGHT. So, what you have suggested is to set up a unique layer for each line style required.
Can I select each of the lines already defined and assign it to a specific layer ? If so, how is this done ?
I need to place text (bearing and distance etc.) along each line (see copy of screenshot attached to original message). What is the best way to do this and can this be done as part of the layer assignment in terms of font size and offset from the subject line. In the attachment I have done this manually.
In the meantime I will look at https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-working-with-layers
Best
Brian

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:28 am

brianm wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:37 am
Can I select each of the lines already defined and assign it to a specific layer ? If so, how is this done ?
Simply by selecting the line/lines, entity/-ies in question and:
- change the layer property in the Property Editor.
- double click on the layer name in the Layer List.

Dimensions would be placed on a dedicated layer.
But in fact, the choise is all yours. :wink:

Regards,
CVH

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:33 am

brianm wrote:
I need to place text (bearing and distance etc.) along each line (see copy of screenshot attached to original message). What is the best way to do this ...
Depends in my opinion on the text angle. I would probably work with the "Text" (TE) or "Text Along Entity" (TG) tool.
brianm wrote:
... and can this be done as part of the layer assignment in terms of font size and offset from the subject line.
No.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”