Screen Based Linetypes

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

seasdes

Screen Based Linetypes

Post by seasdes » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:49 am

What is the general consensus on when I should or shouldn't use Screen Based Linetypes.
seasdes
QCAD Pro V3.27.8
User since 2021
W10

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Screen Based Linetypes

Post by andrew » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:40 am

Screen-based linetypes are mainly useful if your real-life drawing size is much larger or much smaller than what fits on a paper. In this case, the line patterns which are in the range of a few millimeters would not be visible in model space.

See also:
https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-working-wi ... leshooting

TSG
Premier Member

Post by TSG » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:21 am

I don't know what the general consensus for choosing or not choosing the screen based linetype setting is, I can only tell you how I use it and why.

If the option is deactivated, in model_space the type and width of lines are displayed correctly on my iMac with a resolution of 2560x1440 pixels. This is e.g. very clear with a line with the line type "ZigZag". It is displayed the same way in model_space (see "Screenshot 1") as in paper_space (see Screenshot 2"). If I turn the option on (see screenshot 3) the view in model-space isn't correct and differs from the view in model_space. For me it is very important, that the view in model_space is the same as in paper_space, so I turn the option always off.
Screenshot 1.png
Screenshot 1.png (56.02 KiB) Viewed 3817 times
Screenshot 2.png
Screenshot 2.png (42.23 KiB) Viewed 3817 times
screenshot 3.png
screenshot 3.png (49.03 KiB) Viewed 3817 times
Ich will nicht streiten. Ich will nur deutlich machen, dass ich Recht habe und DU NICHT.

TSG
Premier Member

Post by TSG » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:42 am

If my real-life drawing size is much larger or much smaller than what fits on a paper I keep the option "screen-based linetypes" off.
Instead to get an correct view I adjust the linetype-scale in the property editor for these lines.
Ich will nicht streiten. Ich will nur deutlich machen, dass ich Recht habe und DU NICHT.

seasdes

Post by seasdes » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:07 am

To continue on this topic. Is panning and zooming quicker using screen based linetypes?
seasdes
QCAD Pro V3.27.8
User since 2021
W10

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”