Editing a Block

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

RobbWK
Newbie Member

Editing a Block

Post by RobbWK » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:13 pm

New to QCAD so, finding my way around.

If I want to edit a Block I can double-click on it (at least that is what I have found by accident). This element of the drawing is presented for editing. How do I get the entire drawing back, with the edited block in place? I am struggling with this one, any advice will be gratefully received.

QCAD Pro
PC Windows 10 64bit (Version 20HS)
QCAD Pro
MacBook Pro Retina - macOS Big Sur 11.2.3

Thanks

Robb

ryancousins
Premier Member

Re: Editing a Block

Post by ryancousins » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:13 pm

How do I get the entire drawing back, with the edited block in place
If you are editing the block in-place, you should see some options at the top in the options bar. You can choose "save and close" or "cancel" and it should return you to normal where you are working in the overall model space.

If you would prefer, you can change your preferences so double-clicking on a block will open the block up in it's own space, rather than in place.

Edit>Application Preferences>Graphics View>Behavior>Double-Click>Edit block reference in-place.
Attachments
block.png
block.png (60.15 KiB) Viewed 4433 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:28 pm

RobbWK wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:13 pm
If I want to edit a Block I can double-click on it (at least that is what I have found by accident). This element of the drawing is presented for editing. How do I get the entire drawing back, with the edited block in place?
Your main drawing is also a block. A special block called "*Model_Space". You can get back to it using the block list (View > Block List) by double-clicking on "*Model_Space" or you can use the convenience tool Block > Return to Main Drawing.

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:36 pm

Andrew,

I started by giving the same response, but when I tried double-clicking on the model space block like I normally would (I don't usually use the edit block in-place option), it wouldn't return when I have the edit block in-place option checked; I had to choose cancel or save and continue in the options bar. I went back and changed my response at that point after noticing that. The only way I can get back to model space by double-clicking on the model space block in the block list is if I am not editing the block in-place.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:42 pm

Yes, you cannot switch blocks while editing a block in-place. However, it sounds to me that Robb is not editing blocks in-place.

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:49 pm

You're probably correct. I wasn't totally sure if I was reading things correctly :lol:

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:46 pm

RobbWK wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:13 pm
If I want to edit a Block I can double-click on it (at least that is what I have found by accident). This element of the drawing is presented for editing. How do I get the entire drawing back, with the edited block in place?
... in the Block List:
To go back to Model_Space click the X (Return to Main Drawing) in the option bar ...

Husky-2021.03.15-01.png
Husky-2021.03.15-01.png (12.68 KiB) Viewed 4402 times

... or double click on the Model_Space block:

Husky-2021.03.15-02.png
Husky-2021.03.15-02.png (11.55 KiB) Viewed 4402 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

RobbWK
Newbie Member

Post by RobbWK » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:42 pm

Hi Folks,

What can I say, except a big thanks to you all for your kind replies and extremely helpful advice. very grateful.

The scenario I was working with was not editing a block in place. I had, inadvertently, double clicked on a Block (I had managed to create) to see what would happen and hoping that it would enable me to edit it. It did! But, I had no idea how to return to the main drawing (which I now know to be the 'Model'). I saved my changes to the editable Block and then went to File/Recent/<name of my drawing> and loaded it back into QCAD, A bit of a hike but, when you're new and a QCAD virgin, things can take time.

Due to all of your advice I know that I can edit in place. Great advantage and advance for me.

FYI: I have a small woodworking business here in the UK. In the past I've designed on paper with a pencil. I decided to try and bring some order to my work and enable me to show my customers a 'real' drawing rather than a pencil sketch. I bought QCAD Pro as it is accessible for a newbie while Autocad and CorelCad are overkill, for someone like me that is. You can see my work here, if you have time: www.wessexmillwork.com. I'm hoping that QCAD Will become one of my most important tools in my toolbox.

Thanks again and, I reserve the right to return with more questions if I get stuck again (and again, and again...).

Happy Trails.

Robb

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”