Dialog Box Hotkey

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

ryancousins
Premier Member

Dialog Box Hotkey

Post by ryancousins » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:04 pm

I'm looking for a faster way to select whether to copy or move an object. I have thought about using the RT/RC & PS commands but I'm more used to using the MV command. Once the dialog box opens after my move asking if I want to delete or keep the original, I notice that the first letter of each option is underlined (Delete Original Keep Original Multiple copies). I'm trying to find what keys on a Mac will invoke those shortcuts but I'm not having any luck. On a separate note, I have toyed around with turning off the dialog for tool options under the move/copy prefs. In that case, I can hit control space to bring focus to the options at the top, but I'm not finding a way to quickly check and uncheck the copy checkbox up there. I've tried using the tab and arrow keys to cycle focus from the number of copies entry to that checkbox with no luck. I apologize is this is deemed two separate questions in one post- I guess in my mind I'm trying to find one solution so it was all related.

MacOS 10.15.7
QCAD 3.25.2
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 1.03.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 1.03.55 PM.png (655.69 KiB) Viewed 3540 times
Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 1.05.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 1.05.52 PM.png (594.71 KiB) Viewed 3540 times

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Dialog Box Hotkey

Post by andrew » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:31 pm

ryancousins wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:04 pm
I notice that the first letter of each option is underlined (Delete Original Keep Original Multiple copies).
That surprises me. On macOS these letters should not be underlined as these types of shortcuts are only supported on Windows systems where they are really common for menus, dialogs, etc. Can you post a screenshot of that dialog?

I can confirm that macOS by default does not allow you to use the tab key to navigate to checkboxes or radio boxes, etc. You can change that macOS behavior under

System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Full Keyboard Access: In windows and dialogues, press Tab to move keyboard focus between: All controls

This seems to work fine in dialogs but might not be suitable for options toolbar navigation.

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:38 pm

Here is a screenshot of just that dialog box.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 2.37.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 2.37.46 PM.png (78.81 KiB) Viewed 3529 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:56 pm

That is really odd.. I don't get those underlined letters on my macOS 10.15.7 installation, same QCAD version also. This might be a Qt bug that only affects some installation, perhaps triggered by a user preference or something similar.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:00 pm

OK, I figured out that caused those underlines. It's running QCAD on macOS with the light appearance but with QCAD's own dark theme.

I'd recommend to switch macOS to dark mode in System Preferences > General and to use QCAD with its default theme which is far better integrated into macOS.

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:18 am

I like having Qcad in dark mode but I don't want the rest of my OS with the dark theme. Now that I know that the windows style underlined letters are not functional on a mac I know to find a different solution or just be okay with clicking the radio buttons between options in the dialog box.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”