Layers shown in viewports

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

uflem

Layers shown in viewports

Post by uflem » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:07 am

QCAD Pro 3.23.0.0. MacBook Pro OS 10.14.5

I'm trying to learn how to work with Layouts. I created several viewports in a layout with the intent of showing different combinations of layers in each one, like blowing a portion up to show detail at a larger scale that I do not want to show at a smaller scale because the lines would be too close together. I had hoped a viewport would show exactly the layers that were visible when it was created. But that does not work: When I switch layers on or off, they are visible/not visible in every viewport containing some content of the layer. Is there a way of telling a viewport which layers should be shown in it?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Layers shown in viewports

Post by Husky » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:00 am

uflem wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:07 am
... I had hoped a viewport would show exactly the layers that were visible when it was created. But that does not work: When I switch layers on or off, they are visible/not visible in every viewport containing some content of the layer.
Correct - a Viewport isn't a snapshot of a part of your drawing in Model_Space. It is a live view of a predetermined particular area in your Model_Space.
If you change something in Model_Space it will immediately be reflected in a Viewport.
uflem wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:07 am
Is there a way of telling a viewport which layers should be shown in it?
Yes and no - there is no automatic solution but a manual one ...

1. If we are talking about just one or two layer - you can turn them on/off previous a print.
2. If you have a bunch of layer which has to be adjusted for the print - use a predefined layer status (Layer States) to turn all together visible/invisible in one go.

Depending on the drawing I'm sure there are a few more options out there ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

nacho
Newbie Member

Post by nacho » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:07 pm

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and to Qcad. Nice to have this kind of forums!

Its possible to save a layer state associated to a layout?

Usually (for me) the reason for a layout is to print. So, for example y have 3 layouts: construction, electric installation, water installation.
I can make 3 layer states (construction, electric, water) and manually switch to the correct one after print each layout.

I wonder why each layout can't have an automatic saving (or remembering) of layer status?

So when I create layout for electric installation, the current layer status is captured an associated to this new layout. Then, we can set the viewport and if we like make some other changes on layers status that will be remembered in that layout.

I understand that programming is not simple, and there are need to other answers like what to do with new layers created before layout creation. Will be default displayed or not. Or what happens when you cycle several layouts and return to model, and such kind of weird consequences.

Still I ask for this because will be great to have!

Regards,
Nacho.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:21 am

Hi,
nacho wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:07 pm
Its possible to save a layer state associated to a layout?
No, that isn't possible with the current QCAD version.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

nacho
Newbie Member

Post by nacho » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:51 am

Ok thanks

It will be a nice feature, because you can get several layouts, each one with the correct layers setup ready to print/export

regards

nacho
Newbie Member

Post by nacho » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:38 pm

Hello

Sorry to bring back this topic again,

Allowing control over layers on ViewPorts (freeze or other settings) is a VERY important feature, making life more easy!

I know there are layer states (general), but will be great to have some sort of "layer states" or "layer properties" for each viewport.

I hope this can be in TODO list, and will make QCAD super PRO :wink:

The Attach shows how can be done in ACAD.

Regards
Nacho
Attachments
vp_freeze.jpg
vp_freeze.jpg (49.93 KiB) Viewed 4405 times

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”