Layers shown in viewports

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules
Always indicate Operating system, QCAD version
Attach Drawing files, Screenshots
Post one question per topic.
uflem

Layers shown in viewports

Post by uflem » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:07 am

QCAD Pro 3.23.0.0. MacBook Pro OS 10.14.5

I'm trying to learn how to work with Layouts. I created several viewports in a layout with the intent of showing different combinations of layers in each one, like blowing a portion up to show detail at a larger scale that I do not want to show at a smaller scale because the lines would be too close together. I had hoped a viewport would show exactly the layers that were visible when it was created. But that does not work: When I switch layers on or off, they are visible/not visible in every viewport containing some content of the layer. Is there a way of telling a viewport which layers should be shown in it?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Layers shown in viewports

Post by Husky » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:00 am

uflem wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:07 am
... I had hoped a viewport would show exactly the layers that were visible when it was created. But that does not work: When I switch layers on or off, they are visible/not visible in every viewport containing some content of the layer.
Correct - a Viewport isn't a snapshot of a part of your drawing in Model_Space. It is a live view of a predetermined particular area in your Model_Space.
If you change something in Model_Space it will immediately be reflected in a Viewport.
uflem wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:07 am
Is there a way of telling a viewport which layers should be shown in it?
Yes and no - there is no automatic solution but a manual one ...

1. If we are talking about just one or two layer - you can turn them on/off previous a print.
2. If you have a bunch of layer which has to be adjusted for the print - use a predefined layer status (Layer States) to turn all together visible/invisible in one go.

Depending on the drawing I'm sure there are a few more options out there ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro

If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title...". Thanks!

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”