Dimensions displayed

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

SerPat

Dimensions displayed

Post by SerPat » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:26 pm

Hello everyone,

What should I do to have a better display than this:
snap_00.jpg
How_ugly
snap_00.jpg (7.2 KiB) Viewed 10224 times
The angle field is != 90. I had that before using QCad, these OpenOffice / LibreOffice, that will never be really seriously usable!

The version involved is QCAD/CAM
Version : 3.23.0.0 (3.23.0)
Internet : QCAD.org
Date de fabrication : Jul 18 2019
Révision : 42e52bf

I did not have this problem with the free version I have used so far. I mentioned that in the files created by this free version (downloaded in the middle of 2018), there was a lot of ".999-999 ..." and ".000-000 ...", but that did not hurt as it is hidden in the file! Is there not a tool to clean these numbers?

Thank you for your help.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Dimensions displayed

Post by Husky » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:54 pm

SerPat wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:26 pm
Is there not a tool to clean these numbers?
There can't be an automatic cleaning because QCAD assumes that every number is an intended number.

But you can search and find those odd dimension with the Selection Filter and then adjust them with help of the Property Editor.
If you are able to post the drawing maybe we can tell you more to that particular drawing.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

SerPat

Post by SerPat » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:59 pm

Thank you Husky for your answer.

The content of the file is a point, but the main point is the so ugly display. Is there a way to fix that? I know that the accuracy of the calculation has always been a problem. If the software displays stupidities as shown in the snapshot, how can I believe it ???

Since I am a beginner in this version of CAM https://qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php? ... 7836df5a74, I may have missed some adjustment related to the accuracy displayed.

Cordially

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:29 pm

SerPat wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:59 pm
... but the main point is the so ugly display. Is there a way to fix that? I know that the accuracy of the calculation has always been a problem. If the software displays stupidities as shown in the snapshot, how can I believe it ???
I've to admit that I don't understand the issue. What is ugly or stupid? What you see in the Property editor is a displayed fact based on the drawing. You should believe that!
If you need to work with e.g. a thru 90 degree angle then you have to draw it 90 degree or adjust it in this given example within the Property Editor to 90 degrees.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

SerPat

Post by SerPat » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:44 pm

The indicated angle should be 90º without any decimal, since the coordinates of the point of arrival and the point of departure are those indicated, without any decimal place!

Weary of war, I returned to the previous version recovered from a backup. What was my surprise to see that the same segment displayed the same thing, which I do not remember having observed before! I admit that I am a little lost.

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:09 am

Since I assume your whole drawing isn't meant to be posted here can you copy the entity with this 90.000002 degree angle to a new drawing and post it for further investigation? BTW: Is the drawing completely drawn in QCAD? Something doesn't add up here ...

SerPat

Post by SerPat » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:51 am

Here it is...
dummy_display.dxf
(20.79 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
It actualy displays :
snap_00.jpg
snap_00.jpg (7.2 KiB) Viewed 10210 times

SerPat

Post by SerPat » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:04 am

Sorry, I did not answer your question: yes, everything was done with QCad. But this specific line was first drawn with the latest version. This could be important for bug tracking. And I mentioned strange behaviors while doing it that I did not notice before. Many 99999 or 00000. I first thought I had made a mistake.

Note that I do the things my way, convinced that this is not the case of "professionals" or people that previously read the book or followed tutorials.

SerPat

Post by SerPat » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:13 am

Oups ! The snapshot is not the good one. Do I have to send the right picture ?
It says :
Propriétés spécifiques
Longueur : 6
Longueur totale : 6
Angle : 270.000002
Point de départ
X : 0
Y : 13
Point final
X : 0
Y : 7

SerPat

Post by SerPat » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:15 am

I can see that you are online.
Do you have this display by your side ?

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:27 am

Yep - all fine.

Have you recognized this ...

Husky-2019.07.30-03.png
Husky-2019.07.30-03.png (44.06 KiB) Viewed 10205 times

SerPat

Post by SerPat » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:39 am

No ! I just see a post related to that, with "precision" as search key word.
A link to understand / learn, please ?
Last edited by SerPat on Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

SerPat

Post by SerPat » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:39 am

sleep well :-)

I discover phpBB, too !

I found back the post : viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5788&p=21668&hilit ... 8ab#p21668. You are the autor ! I remember that I looked for that item in the preferences and mentionned that is was for dimensions drawing. I supposed that it is not related to my difficulties, because it concernes the représentation of the dimensiones.

Anyway, taking into account the point of view of the user, the information displayed is not correct. A button near this display could guide inform the user and possibly guide him to resolve this problem of inconsistency.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:19 am

Looking at the csv export both X are not identical.
That's why the angle is not vertical.
regards

edit
Entering zero in the Property Editor will not solve this.
The change is to small to be aplied.
Enter 1 for both and enter 0 again.
Attachments
dummy_display.csv
(307 Bytes) Downloaded 451 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:42 am

SerPat wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:39 am
Anyway, taking into account the point of view of the user, the information displayed is not correct.
It is correct but you should consider why it is handled that way. First of all - I can't reproduce with common practice why your angle is off by 0.000002 degree. It could be a result of a rotation, scale or something like that.
If you draw a new vertical line with the vertical line tool there is no way that the angle is incorrect.

Why is the info in the Property Editor correct? QCAD will use common sense and common rules to round up or round down a number. Note: Only as info - in the background QCAD will calculate with all possible numbers. Of course - there is a limit!

Please think about this matter in question. Your drawing is in mm. You are asking for an accuracy witch reflect at least the one million part of a mm. Why at least? I don't know the whole number!
Your drawing has to be drawn with a accuracy of 1/1000000 mm? Maybe you should consider a different unit ...
SerPat wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:39 am
A button near this display could guide inform the user and possibly guide him to resolve this problem of inconsistency.
If somebody has to use numbers like that it would be better to change the format to what is more commonly used in those cases. Scientific notation. Then we are talking about a displayed number like 1.2E-6 (or what ever the full number is!). Do you think that would be more user friendly?

In your particular case I would change the degree to full 90 degree and see what kind of consequences occur on the end or start of that line.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”