Need a little help setting up a template.

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

turtle

Need a little help setting up a template.

Post by turtle » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:55 am

Greetings all, I am working on making some templates for what I usually work in 11X17" A3 paper and US units.
I am having a hard time setting up reasonable scales of text and the default 'Linear Factor' seems to be tied to the printing scale of 1/4 IN = 1 Foot.
Any tips?
Template attached.
Thank you.
Attachments
11X17_inches_template.dxf
(180.61 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
Comments based on Version: 3.26.2 unless otherwise noted.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Need a little help setting up a template.

Post by Husky » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:17 am

Hi,
no need to play around with Linear factor ect.

Just break the math down:
you will print with a 1/4" = 1' scale on a ANSI B,
that scales everything down in your drawing to fit on an ANSI B. To be exact it scales it 48 times smaller,
to counter that you have to enlarge entities like frame / title block / text / dimension etc. with factor 48. Note, not the regular drawing, that has still to be 1:1 in Model_Space.

That said - your template looks already close to the goal. Frame looks good (=48 times bigger) and the dim with 6" (also 48 times bigger) looks good to me too.
If you like to have the text with the same Text hight like the dim - use the same value: 6
If you like to have it bigger or smaller use 5 or 7 .... :wink:

However - premier class of templates would be to design them in Paper_Space. Different story but interesting ... :wink:
https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-working-wi ... -viewports
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

turtle

Re: Need a little help setting up a template.

Post by turtle » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:46 pm

Husky wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:17 am
Hi,
no need to play around with Linear factor ect.

Just break the math down:
you will print with a 1/4" = 1' scale on a ANSI B,
that scales everything down in your drawing to fit on an ANSI B. To be exact it scales it 48 times smaller,
to counter that you have to enlarge entities like frame / title block / text / dimension etc. with factor 48. Note, not the regular drawing, that has still to be 1:1 in Model_Space.

That said - your template looks already close to the goal. Frame looks good (=48 times bigger) and the dim with 6" (also 48 times bigger) looks good to me too.
If you like to have the text with the same Text hight like the dim - use the same value: 6
If you like to have it bigger or smaller use 5 or 7 .... :wink:

However - premier class of templates would be to design them in Paper_Space. Different story but interesting ... :wink:
https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-working-wi ... -viewports
Thanks Husky, is there a way i can pre set entities default sizes in the template?
Comments based on Version: 3.26.2 unless otherwise noted.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”