[solved] Title Block Attributes Lost

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

slyde

[solved] Title Block Attributes Lost

Post by slyde » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:03 am

Hello Forum:

My title block with attributes was working fine. But I had to make a change in it. So I exploded it, made the change and created the block again using the same name. My attributes are visible. But when I try to synchronize them, they stay frozen in the block and can't be accessed. What can I do to get these attributes to work again? And are there certain rules I need to follow when exploding title blocks with attributes to prevent this from happening?
Last edited by slyde on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Look! It's a bird. No! It's a plane! NO! It's QCAD hotkeys...faster than a possum falling out of a tree!!

QCAD Pro 3.19.2.0 [64-bit]

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Title Block Attributes Lost

Post by andrew » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:20 am

A block may contain "attribute definition" entities. When inserting the block (i.e. creating a block reference), an "attribute" entity is created for each attribute definition. Note that an attribute entity is something different than an attribute definition entity.

Exploding a block reference leaves you with loose entities, some of them attribute entities. Recreating a block from these loose entities does not give you the same structure as before as you would now have attribute entities inside the block definition. It will look the same, but the structure has changed fundamentally.

Exploding a block is an irreversible operation if there are attributes involved. You might want to edit the block instead.

slyde

Post by slyde » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:52 pm

When I click the block and go to Block -> Edit Block, nothing happens. But if I double click the block, it takes me to Edit mode. I'm cool with that, but I thought you'd like to know that I can't get there from the Menu.

And thank you for the information. Now I know :D

Version: 3.19.1.0 (3.19.1)
Build Date: Nov 10 2017
Revision: 7cb021a
Qt Version: 5.8.0
Architecture: x86_64
Compiler: gcc 4.8.1
Last edited by slyde on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look! It's a bird. No! It's a plane! NO! It's QCAD hotkeys...faster than a possum falling out of a tree!!

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:55 pm

Block > Edit Block edits the block currently highlighted in the block list (not the block selected in the drawing area). If nothing happens, the block is likely already being edited.

To click a block to edit it, use Block > Edit Block from Reference.

slyde

Post by slyde » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:01 pm

Got it. Thanks, Andrew.

Nice program, btw. I hope the Debian installer will be added to the mix soon. QCAD's nice, though. Robust and feature rich.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”