[SOLVED] Change Block Default Color?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Chips&Chips

[SOLVED] Change Block Default Color?

Post by Chips&Chips » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:24 am

Is there a way to change the default color of Blocks?

I am using a light gray background and the default color for Blocks seems to be white. They are too close together and I would prefer a darker default color for the Blocks. Is this possible?

A photo is attached which shows the part which was inserted from the part library. It is on layer 0 and is black, from the layer color. But when it is exploded, right in red box, the entities become white. Those entities were set to "By Block" before the part was added to the library so they would change to the Block color, which was By Layer, after it was inserted in the drawing. That works fine and the parts/Blocks take on the colors and other attributes of the layer the block is inserted on. But the Block preview in the Library, in second red box on right, seems to have the lighter color, probably from the Block itself.

I can not find a default color setting for Blocks. Is there one?

The other parts in the library were made with different settings and they show up with dark lines. I am only talking about the circled one which I am experimenting with.
BlockColorWhiteToDarker.jpg
BlockColorWhiteToDarker.jpg (321.84 KiB) Viewed 585 times
Last edited by Chips&Chips on Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul A.
SE Texas
Windows 10
QCAD V 3.29.3.0

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Change Block Default Color?

Post by CVH » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:53 pm

Hi,
There is no default color attribute for Blocks, inserted Block References or Block entities.

All depends.

Entities their color attribute can be 'By Layer', 'By Block' or a fixed custom color.
Layers also have attributes like color but here logical wise 'By Layer' & 'By Block' are excluded.
Block definitions (In the Block List) do not have such attributes except visibility.

A Block (definition) is made up of entities each living on a certain layer, the 'By Layer' color may be prominent.
Block References are also entities each living on a certain layer.

So there is some sort of inheritance chain.
What inherent what and when is also depending the Layer '0' compatibility mode for the entities that live on that layer.
'By Block' for Block entities is meaningless from my point of view because Block definitions have no attributes to inherent.
'By Block' may also mean by Block Reference instead of by Block definition what makes more sense ...
... Although some tests do not confirm that.
The chain also becomes unclear when we start to stack Block References in other Block References with various attributes.

Here I stopped experimenting with that:
https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=10651
406 views, 4+6 times downloaded and not a single reply except me trying to grasp things ...

So it is back to trial and error.

One thing is already explained:
Block Attributes are not created on the current layer, they are created on the dedicated layer of the Attribute Definition in the Block definition.
But their final attributes like color may also be inherited or not.

Regards,
CVH

Chips&Chips

Re: Change Block Default Color?

Post by Chips&Chips » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:37 am

I have experimented with this some more. I think my problem is that I had the elements set to By Block but by exploding the Block, there was no more block. So the By Block setting pointed to nothing. And somehow, when there is no definite color, it defaults to White.

I am sure that could be changed, even be made settable. But if I were to request any changes, there are others that I would prefer before that, long before that.

Perhaps I will set my screen background a bit darker and move on.

Thanks to all who responded.
Paul A.
SE Texas
Windows 10
QCAD V 3.29.3.0

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”