Paper Drawings to Full Size Printable Files Workflow

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

FlexPar
Registered Member

Paper Drawings to Full Size Printable Files Workflow

Post by FlexPar » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:40 pm

I have what is probably these days an odd workflow that I am trying to work out.

I have numerous paper line drawings for some parts and assemblies that I have scanned and cleaned up in photoshop.

I want to import them (trace them?) into Qcad and make nice clean full size drawings that can be modified as desired.

The goal is full size printable files that I can output to a printer. Some of them are very large and would go to a wide format printer.

My first question is how do I get the size right. Say I have a line somewhere on the drawing that is supposed to be 6" long. Is there a way I can select that line, type 6" somewhere and it blow/scale the whole canvas or image up to make that line actually 6"?

Any suggestions at all are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
601 For Cad.jpg
601 For Cad.jpg (30.66 KiB) Viewed 813 times

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Paper Drawings to Full Size Printable Files Workflow

Post by andrew » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:09 pm

To scale (and optionally rotate) a bitmap to adjust it to given reference points, you can use:

Modify > Align Reference Points

The tool lets you choose two reference and target point pairs. The reference points in the bitmap will be aligned to the target points, so you can for example proceed like this:

- select the bitmap
- start Modify > Align Reference Points
- choose the start point of a 6" line in the bitmap as reference point 1 and 0,0 as target point 1
- choose the end point of the same 6" line in the bitmap as reference point 2 and 6,0 as target point 2

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”