Get templates to load faster?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

XX852

Get templates to load faster?

Post by XX852 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:01 pm

Opening up the template folder menu to start a new drawing feels a bit slow. I have 10 files in the template folder that totals less than 2mb of space, and it takes roughly 30 seconds to load. If the template folder is set to an empty one, the load time is virtually nonexistent.

Is this normal, or is there something not right here and something I can fix?

I have tested the load times on a solid state drive and the external hard disc drive, and the load time doesn't change in any significant way. All my hardware is fairly new, and can handle 3D CAD software and Blender, so I would like to believe it is not at fault.

QCAD vers.: 3.28.1.0 (3.28.1)
For those who are curious, my username is the model number of the first blue-beam laser pointer I bought.

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Get templates to load faster?

Post by CVH » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:14 pm

XX852 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:01 pm
Is this normal, or is there something not right here and something I can fix?
Hi, when I choose C:/Program Files/QCAD/libraries/templates/metric/dl3dl then I have the same issue.
Roughly 30 seconds.

Regards,
CVH

XX852

Post by XX852 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:14 pm

So it does seem to be normal.
I set my most used templates into their own folder, which is only 3 drawings totaling about 650Kb, and the load time was cut down to 15 seconds.
My guess is that it has something to do with the preview generation in the templates window, but I could not find a way to disable that, only a way to reduce preview icon size.
For those who are curious, my username is the model number of the first blue-beam laser pointer I bought.

Rantanplan7

Post by Rantanplan7 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:54 am

Hi,
I have 10 templates in my templates folder and the menu opens in a bit less than 2 seconds. My templates are around 26 kB as the contain just a frame, a drawing head for the informations like customer, date, etc. and not more. So I assume it is just a question of the file size.
Best Regards

Sven

QCAD 3.27.6.0 / Windows 11 Professional 64-bit / 16 GB RAM, i5 [email protected], SSD
(former Autosketch 10 user)

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”