Measure Distance Along a Path

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

s34n
Newbie Member

Measure Distance Along a Path

Post by s34n » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:21 pm

Good Day All,

My first post here, I'll attempt to be as clear as possible. I'm using version 3.27.9 on Linux.

Is there a method to use one of the info tools to measure a "Path" along line entities?
In the example file attached, I have an electrical floorplan and I want to measure the distance between two receptacles along a wall but the wall includes one inside corner and and one outside corner between them. In the attatched file, the distance is 156 units middle to middle, however, I have to make 3 meaurements and add them manually. Is there quicker way?

Thanks,
Sean
example.dxf
(98.5 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Measure Distance Along a Path

Post by CVH » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:31 pm

s34n wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:21 pm
however, I have to make 3 meaurements and add them manually. Is there quicker way?
Yes, add a polyline (as 'cable' for example) with 3 or more line-segments and see Property Editor when selected.

The real cable length should account for delta height in 3D and one needs extra cable for making the connections too. :wink:

Regards,
CVH

s34n
Newbie Member

Post by s34n » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:52 pm

Thanks CVH,

I'm trying your method but I am not sure if it is actually easier for what I am trying to accomplish. Now I need to draw a polyline, select it(which sometimes takes several clicks for me since it is drawn over the wall line and wants to select that instead), and then delete the polyline. This may be quicker overall for walls with multiple direction changes but for say just one corner between receptacles, I can copy/paste values from Command Line output into calculator as quickly.
To clarify what I am trying to acomplish, electrical code requires that no point along a wall is more than 6 feet from a receptical outlet, and I just need a quick check for that distance. I was hoping there was a way the Point to Point Info tool had perhaps a "Cumulative" mode.

Sean

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:10 pm

Good Day s34n - welcome to the QCAD forum.

So far this task isn't clear to me. Maybe someone can enlighten me ... :oops:

Is this task meant to determine the positions of new outlets by electrical code or to verify already existing positions (Existing building / new building)? I ask this question just to make sure we don't put the cart before the horse ... :wink:

CVH suggestion to use a polyline could be part of the solution but not as an extra added polygon.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:42 pm

s34n wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:52 pm
which sometimes takes several clicks for me since it is drawn over the wall line and wants to select that instead
Use Alt+select to choose the polyline near your cursor.
s34n wrote:
and then delete the polyline.
There is no reason to delete it immediately.
Create it on a dedicated layer and destroy the layer when all verifications are done.
Or keep it hidden/locked, it can still be handy when things get moved around. :wink:
Husky wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:10 pm
but not as an extra added polygon.
A polygon is a closed shape, I was referring to the length of an open polyline.
s34n wrote:
I was hoping there was a way the Point to Point Info tool had perhaps a "Cumulative" mode.
Not really of the shelf ...

Try this:
  • Type a '=' in the Command Line
    Right click in the Command Line and select Insert Measurement and one of the measurement options.
    QCAD will insert it as a variable: https://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/tutorial- ... easurement
    Add a '+' and repeat inserting a measurement
    You can repeat this a few times.
    When finished ensure that the Command Line has the focus (Space) and hit Enter to sum all.
Regards,
CVH

Husky

Post by Husky » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:52 pm

CVH wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:42 pm
Husky wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:10 pm
but not as an extra added polygon.
A polygon is a closed shape, I was referring to the length of an open polyline.
I know but auto correct and CVH got me ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

s34n
Newbie Member

Post by s34n » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:00 am

Well thanks for all the ideas, but I've figured out a low effort work-around that works for me. I can use the Info-Polygonal Area tool, selecting from one receptacle to the next then back track to the start point. The Command Line output gives me an area of zero but also gives me a circumference that is double the length, and because I'm only checking if I'm over a certain distance, this will work.
Am I too new here to request a new feature? :D

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:50 am

s34n wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:00 am
Well thanks for all the ideas, but I've figured out a low effort work-around that works for me. I can use the Info-Polygonal Area tool, selecting from one receptacle to the next then back track to the start point. The Command Line output gives me an area of zero but also gives me a circumference that is double the length, and because I'm only checking if I'm over a certain distance, this will work.
You may consider this approach too: The Property Editor or the Info tool "Total Length" (IS) will then give you the total Length of a selection:
Divide (DI) lines at receptacle, select in between lines with shift+mouse click, read Total Length in Property Editor:

Total Length lines_.gif
Total Length lines_.gif (1.63 MiB) Viewed 2328 times
s34n wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:00 am
Am I too new here to request a new feature? :D
Nope - there are no restrictions to file a Feature request :lol:

Please feel free to file a feature request below:
https://www.qcad.org/bugtracker

The bugtracker offers the opportunity to report bugs and file for feature requests - it requires a separate registration. :wink:

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”