[solved] Trimming the middle section of a line

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

CAD4All

[solved] Trimming the middle section of a line

Post by CAD4All » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:46 am

Is doing this type of trim possible?

I have two overlapping rectangles (They represent the perimeter of a house and a verandah that goes down one long side and half way along each end). I want to remove section of the side of one rectangle that is intersected by the sides of the other rectangle (Remove the line that cuts across the perimeter of the house). If I use the Trim function, the line is trimmed all the way to the other end whereas all I want to do is to trim the middle section of the line. Is there any way in which this can be done or am I going to have to draw up the plan in some other way?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Trimming the middle section of a line

Post by andrew » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:51 am

Perhaps this is what you are looking for:
https://qcad.org/doc/qcad/latest/refere ... reakOutPro

If not, please attach your drawing file or post a screenshot and explain in more detail what you are trying to so.

CAD4All

Post by CAD4All » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:21 pm

Thanks. That is exactly what I needed. However, I'm having difficulty in using it. I have made a block comprising the two rectangles and I have used the block in my plan. To cut out the middle section of the line it seems that I have to edit the block. I have been able to do that but then I can't get back to the plan that incorporates the block. I am presuming that making a change to the block (in this case, cutting out the middle section of the line) should result in a corresponding change to the instance of the block in the drawing. Is that correct? How then do I return to the drawing which incorporates the block?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:25 pm

Please note: https://qcad.org/doc/qcad/latest/refere ... /EditBlock

Please start a new topic for new, unrelated questions, thanks.

CAD4All

Re: [solved] Trimming the middle section of a line

Post by CAD4All » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:06 pm

Thanks. Problem solved.

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”