Viewport Border in Model Space

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

JimWOz
Newbie Member

Viewport Border in Model Space

Post by JimWOz » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:27 am

Hi,
I want to be able to see the border of viewports in the model space.
When I create a viewport and draw its shape in the model space, a border is briefly drawn then QCAD asks for which layout block to add the viewport to, and the border is then gone from the model space.

I want to do this so I can see each portion of the model space used by each viewport. For example a linear structure like a road or in my case a large dam embankment wall 750m long. I want to have 3 layout block drawings A3 size at 1:1000 scale, with small overlap that cover the whole length of the dam axis. - Easily done, but I also want a 1:2500 scale overall layout block plan that shows the entire length, with a border around the contents of each of the 3 A3 1:1000 layouts to aid navigation of the printed documents.

I have a workaround but the ability to leave the border behind from drawing the viewport would be much simpler. - Can this be scripted or added as a new feature ?

I create the viewports in a new layer.
Select the viewport entity in the layout block.
Select the property editor and screenshot the specific properties, height, width, rotation and view centre.
Create a rectangular block with the diagonals also drawn to give its centre, with the same geometry and rotation as the viewport, in the viewport layer.
Insert the block onto the model space with the reference point at the centre of the block, in the same location as the viewport’s centre.
Edit the block to remove the diagonal lines. - the “dummy viewport border” has now been created.

This gives me a permanent rectangular outline in the model space of the viewport on its own layer.
Repeat for each viewport.
Model Space with Viewport Borders.jpg
Model Space with Viewport Borders.jpg (947.38 KiB) Viewed 5444 times
Create a new viewport on another layout block at the reduced 1:2500 scale of the entire plan area, which will now show the borders of each of the viewport layouts.
Annotate the layout with text labels adjacent the viewport borders as required to indicate the drawing number or description of each of the 1:1000 scale drawings to assist a reader with navigation.
Mac OS 10.15.7 on 2019 MacBook Pro 16.
QCADPro 3.27.1

:) from 40+ south.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Viewport Border in Model Space

Post by Husky » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:25 am

Hi,
JimWOz wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:27 am
I have a workaround but the ability to leave the border behind from drawing the viewport would be much simpler. - Can this be scripted or added as a new feature ?
I would like to see that too ... :wink:
Would you consider to file a Feature Request below: https://www.qcad.org/bugtracker
JimWOz wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:27 am
I create the viewports in a new layer.
Select the viewport entity in the layout block.
Select the property editor and screenshot the specific properties, height, width, rotation and view centre.
Create a rectangular block with the diagonals also drawn to give its centre, with the same geometry and rotation as the viewport, in the viewport layer.
Insert the block onto the model space with the reference point at the centre of the block, in the same location as the viewport’s centre.
Edit the block to remove the diagonal lines. - the “dummy viewport border” has now been created.

This gives me a permanent rectangular outline in the model space of the viewport on its own layer.
Repeat for each viewport.
My workaround looks a bit different ...
I create a rectangle on a designated layer, size and rotation depends on planed Viewport area, use this rectangle as reference to create a Viewport, place Viewport with a scale as needed in Layout - done. Rectangle stays in Model_Space which can then be toggled visible/invisible etc. etc.

As always - there are many ways to skin a cat ....

Viewport.gif
Viewport.gif (1.67 MiB) Viewed 5423 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

JimWOz
Newbie Member

Re: Viewport Border in Model Space

Post by JimWOz » Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:37 am

Thanks Husky,
Yours is a simpler method of course. - Create the dummy border rectangle first then make the viewport overlay this shape snapping to the rectangle's corners.
(btw - I rate my CAD skills at 2.5/10 for a good reason :oops: )
Mac OS 10.15.7 on 2019 MacBook Pro 16.
QCADPro 3.27.1

:) from 40+ south.

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”