[solved] object data - IFC

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

steverugi
Newbie Member

[solved] object data - IFC

Post by steverugi » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:11 am

any chance to add object data in the future?
like in shapefiles for GIS or simple database purposes for SQL or just CSV
I use it in Autocad and it's super useful when you deal with objects and data information related to them
similar to block attributes but more granular and operating beyond the block itself

andrew
Site Admin

Re: object data - IFC

Post by andrew » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:38 am

In QCAD, custom properties can be added to any entity using the property editor (View > Property Editor).
Click the plus at the bottom right to add a new property.

These properties could then be further processed, exported to CSV, etc. for example using dwg2csv. For example to list all block references with their position and custom property "myproperty":

Code: Select all

dwg2csv -t "Block Reference" -p Position:X -p Position:Y -p QCAD:myproperty custom_properties.dxf
Output:

Code: Select all

Position:X,Position:Y,QCAD:myproperty
33,27,myvalue
27.34,21.2,myvalue

steverugi
Newbie Member

Post by steverugi » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:06 pm

thanks for the reply, much appreciated

sorry to bother, can properties of entities be exported in CSV, without using block attributes?
in Autocad I can do it by exporting it as SHP, it automatically creates a .dbf file that Excel can read
I don't know how to use line command, could't find much on the web so far, is it from QCAD command line or Terminal?
I am using the Pro version on Windows 10
thanks again for your help

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:13 pm

steverugi wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:06 pm
sorry to bother, can properties of entities be exported in CSV, without using block attributes?
Yes, dwg2csv does that.
in Autocad I can do it by exporting it as SHP, it automatically creates a .dbf file that Excel can read
QCAD does not export to SHP.
I don't know how to use line command, could't find much on the web so far, is it from QCAD command line or Terminal?
You can use dwg2csv from a terminal or command prompt of your operating system. If you are not familiar with terminals, this might not be for you.

If you are willing to invest time in this direction, here's a starting point:
https://www.google.com/search?q=using+t ... and+prompt

Note that command line tools are typical power user tools, typically used in environments with high levels of automation or full automation (e.g. recurring processes, server environments, etc.)

steverugi
Newbie Member

Post by steverugi » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:47 pm

I finally dedicated some little time to it and it works!
all objects can have custom properties in addition to their own and extracted via dwg2csv, it's actually easy
very useful stuff, thank you @andrew and QCAD

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”