[Solved] Block update from library

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

RobB

[Solved] Block update from library

Post by RobB » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:12 pm

When I have created a library block, and used it several times in a drawing, I often make a correction to the block (e.g. adding a type number). When I have done that in the library, what is the best way to update my open drawing?

To get the new version, I have to delete the old block version in the block list. Otherwise, the drawing will not reach out to the library for the new version.
But now I have lost the positions of all instances of the old version, so I have first to create reference points for them, and then add them by hand.

I would be nice if I right click on a block in the drawing block list, there is an 'update from library' option ( or if items in the block list do not know where they came from, right click in the library). The command should look for all instances of that block name in the drawing and update them.

Rob
Last edited by RobB on Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 20 , qcadcam-3.24.3.10-pro-linux-x86_64

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Block update from library

Post by andrew » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:27 pm

Note that there's no link whatsoever between your drawing and the inserted library block once it is inserted. Library items are regular CAD files and are inserted as regular blocks.

One easy way to update is to inserts the library item again and tick option "Overwrite blocks" in the options toolbar. Then delete the newly inserted block again.

RobB

Re: [Solved] Block update from library

Post by RobB » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:19 am

Andrew, thanks.
I was not aware of that procedure; it works nicely. All blocks updated in one go.
Regards, Robert
Linux Mint 20 , qcadcam-3.24.3.10-pro-linux-x86_64

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”