Automatic print ViewPort

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Giuliano69

Automatic print ViewPort

Post by Giuliano69 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:17 pm

Hi,
A very useful feature in Draftsight was to select a rectangle, and have the print viewport Automatically be scaled to that size.
So if you use a frame/titleblock with the same ratio of an A4, you automatically have your drawing scaled with the right ratio.

Is it possible to implement such a feature in Qcad ?

BR

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Automatic print ViewPort

Post by Husky » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:20 pm

Hi,
whats about "Print Current View" (CTRL+ALT+P)?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Giuliano69

Post by Giuliano69 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:10 am

Husky wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:20 pm
Hi,
whats about "Print Current View" (CTRL+ALT+P)?
It is clearly not the same and not that useful as the menu in Draftsight..

Specifying the two corner of the rectangle (Draftsight procedure) you can focus _exacly and automatically_ what you want to print.
The very common use, is to draw into a frame or a title-block that automatically scales down to an A4/A3....

With the the "current View", the limitations are the same as trying to set/guess the scale factor in the print preview:
just trying to set/guess it with the mouse wheel instead of setting a number in the text field of the control.... with the said rectangle you don't have to gues or try: just specify two corner and the scale factor is calculated automatically in no time...

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:49 am

Giuliano69 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:10 am
The very common use, is to draw into a frame or a title-block that automatically scales down to an A4/A3....
We are talking about Viewports in Paper_Space?
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Giuliano69

Post by Giuliano69 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:52 pm

Hi Huscky
we are talking about "Print preview" viewport

The real viewport (the one with the scroll bar) is a normal window, but in printing terms, the viewport in this situation should be the paper sheet.

A very similar feature (algorithm) to the one I am suggesting is already present: it is "adapt the whole drawing the the page".
This procedure is considering the max extension of the drawing (without asking the user any information) , and then scaling the WHOLE drawing to the paper size.

A smarter approach would ask the user for two point coordinates (easily got with the snap function mode on ), use this rectangular area from the selection to produce the scale up/down of the page.

From what I see, half of the function code is already there...

Giuliano

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:39 pm

Giuliano69 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:52 pm
... we are talking about "Print preview" viewport

The real viewport (the one with the scroll bar) is a normal window, but in printing terms, the viewport in this situation should be the paper sheet.
"Viewport" in Print Preview ... ?????
"Real" viewport with scroll bar ... ???

Sorry, you lost me. Honestly I've no idea what you are talking about but I'm sure that is only me. Maybe somebody else can help you with this ...

P.s.: I've the feeling everything what you are looking for already exist in QCAD but we are not using the same terms to describe the situation what leads to this communication barrier ...

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”