Block Folders

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

ryancousins
Premier Member

Block Folders

Post by ryancousins » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:33 am

First of all, apologies if I make too many feature requests... :lol:

I have a DXF with a lot of blocks in it and that number of blocks will continue to grow. I thought it would be helpful to be able to organize the blocks into folders or some kind of sub categories that could be expanded or condensed as needed. I'm picturing this looking similar to the way layers can have a parent, except the "parent" is just a name as a way to organize the blocks. I know the library would be a way to organize separate objects into sub folders, but I prefer to keep all of the blocks internal to the file in case I need to make an update, since updating a library file will not automatically update any instances of that file that have been placed in other drawings. Plus, these blocks will never need to be used outside of this single DXF file. Would anyone else find this a useful feature or is this silly?

Examples of where I imagine folders/categories divisions might be useful:

A separate place for all of your layout blocks
A separate place for each type of layout block based on their paper size
A way to organize different categories of objects in your drawing similar to how library folders are used but internal to a single DXF file.

ryancousins
Premier Member

Re: Block Folders

Post by ryancousins » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:55 am

Here is a terrible drawing of what I'm thinking:
Attachments
Block Folders.png
Block Folders.png (207.25 KiB) Viewed 6154 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:26 am

The list is alphanumerically sorted - maybe you can use it to sort some things ...

Husky-2021.03.24-04.png
Husky-2021.03.24-04.png (11.99 KiB) Viewed 6144 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:15 am

Some of my blocks in this file are named with a numerical prefix so in a way I'm using that strategy a little already. The ability to collapse and expand groupings of blocks was the part that would be the most helpful. I received a large building floorplan from an architectural company and it had dozens of blocks in it and it would be nice to organize those logically rather than alphabetically. But now that I think about it, they likely used AutoCAD to create their file, and I'm assuming the DXF (or DWG) format standard doesn't have anything built-in to categorize blocks, so files made outside of QCAD would be unaware of this added structure. Perhaps from a cross-compatibility standpoint, that makes these kinds of features less desirable to implement.

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”