[Answered]Curious, Odd negative location representation of a line end

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

JohnRob

[Answered]Curious, Odd negative location representation of a line end

Post by JohnRob » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:44 pm

I have a simple almost horizontal line, I wish to make it level by changing the End Point "Y" dimension.
LineEnd.jpg
LineEnd.jpg (11.97 KiB) Viewed 8335 times
Now I see the 3'-9 7/8" really means negative(3" 9 7/8") .... OK

However when I copy the "Y" from The start point and paste into the Y for the end point, one would think this would work...but not. So when I do that the EndPoint Y becomes a positive 2' 1 1/8"

To do what I want I have to write in -3' 10 7/8"

Is there a setting somewhere to make the End Point dimension shown as a normal -feet inches?

Thanks
John

Windows 10 / 64
Qcad:

Version:
3.25.2.0 (3.25.2)
Internet:
QCAD.org
Build Date:
Sep 4 2020
Revision:
4a61501
Qt Version:
Architecture:
x86_64
Compiler:
MSVC++ 14.0 (2015)
Last edited by JohnRob on Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Curious, Odd negative location representation of a line end

Post by Husky » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:58 am

The total lengths doesn't fits the start and end point coordinates. It displays 27' 7 41/256 - that is to long what means the screenshot shows an already manipulated output and not a Property Editor read out, correct?
JohnRob wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:44 pm

However when I copy the "Y" from The start point and paste into the Y for the end point, one would think this would work...but not. So when I do that the EndPoint Y becomes a positive 2' 1 1/8"

To do what I want I have to write in -3' 10 7/8"
Not knowing what you want to do (leveling a line is only part of the whole picture) why not just set the Angle to 0? BTW: Posting the dxf would take out a lot of guesswork ...
JohnRob wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:44 pm
Is there a setting somewhere to make the End Point dimension shown as a normal -feet inches?
The Property Editor reflects the settings below Drawing Preferences / Dimension Settings.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

JohnRob

Post by JohnRob » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:13 am

The total lengths doesn't fits the start and end point coordinates. It displays 27' 7 41/256 - that is to long what means the screenshot shows an already manipulated output and not a Property Editor read out, correct?
The screenshot was of the Property Editor for the line I an talking about. Can't explain the discrepancy.

However my Question / Comment is the syntax used in the Property editor of a line. That when a point is negative I cannot copy the start point "Y" value and paste it in End "Y" value and have it go to the same "Y" location.

The program seems to calculate the difference between the feet and the inches. So 3'-10 7/8" becomes 2' 1 1/8"
So I must type in -3' 10 7/8". I found it odd that the program will not accept a number that is formatted exactly as the program displays it.

John

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:51 am

JohnRob wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:13 am
That when a point is negative I cannot copy the start point "Y" value and paste it in End "Y" value and have it go to the same "Y" location.
Sorry,there is no negative value in your example. Negative would start with a - symbol.
JohnRob wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:13 am
I found it odd that the program will not accept a number that is formatted exactly as the program displays it.
Please attache an example dxf and I'll try to reproduce the issue. Thanks.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

JohnRob

Post by JohnRob » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:56 am

Here is a simple example, one line with points in a negative quadrant. You can see the minus sign in the properties display is between the feet and inches.

John
Line in negative Quadrant.dxf
(99.79 KiB) Downloaded 480 times

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:26 am

I can see the negative in the second term.
But:
X = 8' 4" i.e. positive 5' 10"
Is that a typo?

Regards,
CVH

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:45 am

@John,

thanks for the dxf - now I can reproduce the issue!
It looks to me that something isn't proper working with the Dimension settings Architectural and Engineering. Fraction etc will work as expected. Long story short: I would consider that as a bug! Thanks for your report.

Please file a bug report below www.qcad.org/bugtracker ... or if you like me to do it?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:24 am

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”