QCAD Utilities

Discussion forum for C++ and script developers who are using the QCAD development platform or who are looking to contribute to QCAD (translations, documentation, etc).

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files, scripts and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

MikeJ

QCAD Utilities

Post by MikeJ » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:17 pm

Hi all,

As requested from the "Introduce Yourself" I've put together all of my utilities I've created into a couple of installs for QCAD 32/64 bit Windows systems. In the future I'll create builds for other OS's.

QCAD Utilities provides a wide variety of scripts used to draw architectural, mechanical, structural, and piping components.

The install will copy the utility files into your QCAD folder (so need to specify where QCAD is installed in the installation steps). Once installed start QCAD and you should see a menu added called "Utility". From there it's best to read the help file to get familiar with the different utilities etc.

This install will include the following utilities:
  • Layer Manager - Create layers and templates of layers that utilize the AIA CAD Layer Guidelines.
  • Tablet Grid - Organize blocks, scripts, commands, and other tablets in a graphical display. From the tablet you can then use it to insert/run/open items.
  • HVAC Ductwork - Draws double-line ductwork
  • Structural Shapes - Draws AISC W, S, M, HP, C, MC, WT, ST, MT, angles, rectangular and round HSS shapes from XML data sources
  • Piping Symbols - Inserts pipe fitting symbols that automatically breaks the lines, and if in isometric view, inserts an isometric version of the block with correct angle and horizontal flip
  • Architectural Doors and Windows - Script blocks that creates doors and windows
  • Isometric Circles - Draws isometric circles based on the current isometric projection
I have other utilities in the works and will include them in future releases but for now I want to make sure that this release is stable.

If you have any issues or feedback please email me at [email protected]

This is all free to use so hope it works ok and is of value to you.
Thanks!

UPDATE:
Here's the latest update (version 3.1.10). If you've installed this previously you'll need to uninstall then install this version.

NOTE: If you call up the Layer Manager (on the home tablet in the Tablet Grid) and none of the dropdowns have values then close the Layer Manager and select the QCAD Help > Check for QCAD Pro Updates.. (if you have pro), otherwise you'll need to create the folders in your ..\AppData\local\QCAD\QCAD folder to allow QCAD to store user data.

Thanks
Attachments
QCADUtilities-3.1.10-win64.zip
(834.34 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
QCADUtilities-3.1.10-win32.zip
(833.48 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
Last edited by MikeJ on Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

petevick
Premier Member

Re: QCAD Utilities

Post by petevick » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:40 pm

Hi Mike, In WIndows 10 x64 I'm getting an installation error -
Source file not found, C:\Users\username\desktop\cab1.cab
Pete Vickerstaff
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon, Qcad Pro 3.29.6

MikeJ

Post by MikeJ » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:38 pm

Updated in previous post. thanks
Last edited by MikeJ on Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

petevick
Premier Member

Post by petevick » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:18 pm

MikeJ wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:38 pm
Oops, give this a try.
Yes, that installs just fine :wink: , unfortunately Qcad fails to start :( , if I uninstall your utilities then Qcad fires up. :)
Pete Vickerstaff
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon, Qcad Pro 3.29.6

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:57 pm

QCAD 3.27.6.0 on Windows 11

Installs fine and QCAD starts, the utilities are there. I've not had time to explore them but it looks OK for me.
Len
QCAD Pro

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:28 pm

Hello MikeJ,
MikeJ wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:17 pm
This is all free to use so hope it works ok and is of value to you.
I assume it is of value for many of us - thank you very much for your contribution!
MikeJ wrote:
  • Architectural Doors and Windows - Script blocks that creates doors and windows
I was looking for this - can't find it ... :oops:
The help file contains a description but ...
MikeJ wrote:
I have other utilities in the works and will include them in future releases but for now I want to make sure that this release is stable.
I hope there is a "Wall" tool in the making. I assume many would appreciate a tool which helps with this common task but I'm aware as simple as it sounds that could be a challenge ... :wink:

Question:
1. What is the advantage using your "Isometric Circle" compared to the already offered QCAd Isometric Circle tool?
2. How do I activate the "Utility" for e.g. the CAD Tool bar?

Husky-2022.07.13-01.png
Husky-2022.07.13-01.png (30.96 KiB) Viewed 8529 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:00 pm

Tried to play a bit with your Utilities and running in trouble. :oops:

I opened the Table Grid Widgets, inserted a symbol and a warning pops up.

Husky-2022.07.13-04.png
Husky-2022.07.13-04.png (57.67 KiB) Viewed 8520 times

My QCAD installation is below .... qcad-3.27.6-pro-win64 and not qcad-3i.27.6-pro-win64 what means the widgets is looking at a wrong place. How can I fix that?
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:13 pm

Should a 'file' URI have a colon (:) in the path value? Wouldn't that be file:///C/Program%20%Files/qcad ...or something like that? I can't recall exactly, it's been way too long. :wink:
Len
QCAD Pro

MikeJ

Post by MikeJ » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:46 am

Yes, that installs just fine :wink: , unfortunately Qcad fails to start :( , if I uninstall your utilities then Qcad fires up. :)
Ok, if you could install it again then run QCAD in debug mode and let me know what errors show up would be awesome :)
Thanks!

MikeJ

Post by MikeJ » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:56 am

MikeJ wrote:
I was looking for this - can't find it ... :oops:
The help file contains a description but ...

The doors and windows are only accessible through the Tablet Grid (some of the utilities can only be run through the grid so don't show up in the menu)
MikeJ wrote:
I hope there is a "Wall" tool in the making. I assume many would appreciate a tool which helps with this common task but I'm aware as simple as it sounds that could be a challenge ... :wink:

You read my mind :) I'm working on walls as well as weld symbols, hex bolts (like the structural shapes), and isometric pipe.

Question:
1. What is the advantage using your "Isometric Circle" compared to the already offered QCAd Isometric Circle tool?
2. How do I activate the "Utility" for e.g. the CAD Tool bar?

Where is the Isometric Circle in QCAD currently? And what steps do you do to draw one?

I don't have any tool bars for the utility presently. I do all of my work from the Tablet Grid. So I'll need to add the tool bars for some utilities. Note that not all of the utilities can only be run through the Tablet Grid like the doors/windows as well as the piping symbols.

Hope that helps

Husky-2022.07.13-01.png
[/quote]

MikeJ

Post by MikeJ » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:01 am

Husky wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:00 pm
Tried to play a bit with your Utilities and running in trouble. :oops:

I opened the Table Grid Widgets, inserted a symbol and a warning pops up.

Husky-2022.07.13-04.png

My QCAD installation is below .... qcad-3.27.6-pro-win64 and not qcad-3i.27.6-pro-win64 what means the widgets is looking at a wrong place. How can I fix that?
Ah.. it's missing one of the blocks (checkvalvei2.dxf).. So that's what is causing the error. The file path is correct. Here's the block that you can unzip to your ../QCAD/utility/blocks/piping folder then it should work.
Attachments
checkvalvei2.zip
(10.5 KiB) Downloaded 353 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:48 am

MikeJ wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:01 am
Ah.. it's missing one of the blocks (checkvalvei2.dxf).. So that's what is causing the error. The file path is correct. Here's the block that you can unzip to your ../QCAD/utility/blocks/piping folder then it should work.
Well, I still think the path is wrong and this one dxf file in the zip doesn't solves the problem. Maybe I'm doing something wrong ... :oops:

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:46 am

MikeJ wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:56 am
Where is the Isometric Circle in QCAD currently? And what steps do you do to draw one?
Menu / Modify / Projection

Isometric Circle.gif
Isometric Circle.gif (1.29 MiB) Viewed 8498 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:13 am

Another question ... e_surprised
What is the advantage of using the "Table Grid" widgets instead of using the "Library Browser" ...

... and how works the "Layer Manager"?

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:22 am

Hi,

Installed the second issue of QCADUtilities-3.1.8-win32.zip.

QCAD fails to run. :?

In debug mode I get:
Uncaught exception at :/scripts/Utility/TabletGrid\TabletGridInit.js:116: TypeError: Result of expression 'formWidget.findChild("TabletLabel").signalMouseMoveEvent' [undefined] is not an object.

I see that most scripts are packed in a DLL.
That prevents me from delving deeper into this without investing time that I can't spare at the moment.

De-installation ran ok. :wink:
An empty folder 'C:\Program Files\QCAD\utility\blocks' remains.

Regards,
CVH
Last edited by CVH on Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “QCAD Programming, Script Programming and Contributing”