vec2web and non-QCad DXF files

If you are having problems with vec2web, post here. Please report bugs here.

Moderator: andrew

hoeken
Registered Member

vec2web and non-QCad DXF files

Post by hoeken » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:47 am

Hello,

First off, let me say that I'm a proud QCad Professional user, and you guys make a great, easy to use CAD program. The fact that you guys are cross platform completely rocks. Keep up the good work.

Secondly, I've recently begun using the vec2web software, which is also very cool. It was a bit tricky to get working, but obviously its not as high of a priority for you guys as QCad. This is completely understandable. To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised that it even existed.

The reason I'm using vec2web is that my friend and I recently started a website called Thingiverse.com, which a place that people can upload the digital design files for physical objects. In this case, people are uploading DXF files used for lasercutting. We're using vec2web to generate a PNG rendering of the DXF file so that they can easily have a preview. This is very similar to your parts library, except people can upload any random DXF file.

Anyway, my problem is this: vec2web is choking on certain DXF files that have been uploaded. here is the error that it generates:

RS_FileIO::fileImport: failed to import file: /home/hoeken/_renders/0007412710fcdb3d14df1abaabc888b7-0502-Biene-3mm.DXF

The weird thing is that if I open the file with QCad Pro (v2.2.2) then it works just fine. If I then save that dxf file and try it again, it works perfectly. My guess is that the libraries included with vec2web seem to be older than the latest QCad release.

I tried downloading the latest version of dxflib which seems to be v2.2.0 and compile that. i got all the way to compiling vec2web, but it appears its just not compatible with the later version of dxflib.

Anyway, I'd love to have a version of vec2web that supports all the dxf files that the latest version of QCad Pro supports. Is there any chance of releasing an update vec2web with the latest versions f the libraries? If not, are there any options to offer a 'pro' version of the vec2web software in the future?

Cheers,
Zach

Return to “vec2web Troubleshooting and Problems”