[solved] SVG Export in Trial - cannot evaluate

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

smford
Newbie Member

[solved] SVG Export in Trial - cannot evaluate

Post by smford » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:43 pm

I have used qcad 2.2.2 for a number of years very happily, but I now need to work with svg files.

I was very happy to see that the latest version of qcad now supports SVG. My laser cutting software is picky about svg formats (the main thing being with scaling and artifact issues) and I wanted to test qcad to see if I can upgrade to it.

But I have noticed that the SVG export in the trial is so crippled that I cannot test the output SVG files. It says it adds random lines, and I can see them in my laser cutting software. However, I cannot even view the SVG file in inkscape with the added lines.

Is there anyway the SVG export in the trial be crippled less so that I can evaluate qchad better?

I have tried exporting as pdf and converting from that, but a similar problem exists.

My issue is that the SVG export in the trial is so crippled it cannot be evaluated.

Can you help with this?

CVH
Premier Member

Re: SVG Export in Trial - cannot evaluate

Post by CVH » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:50 pm

Hi there,
What is your current version?

Could you provide in a dxf or other source and the svg that is crippled?
Does the import of the SVG looks ok in Qcad.
SVG is not a native Qcad format.
Thats why we import and export and don't load or save.

IMHO the SVG markup isn't the way to do any cnc on them.
Similar as HTML is not a real text document.
Sure SVG support could be part of your cnc system but have you read the instructions and about the limitations?

Laser cutting or Laser branding, the first needs exact vectors to follow to cut, the second has line weights and fills to scorch.

Qcad (pro) can handle two ways of exporting an SVG, one that looks good graphically as an image and one that will try to keep the geometry.
smford wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:43 pm
It says it adds random lines
It being what? How do you know it has added random lines as you can't detect them.
Why would any CAD add random things?

Regards,
CVH.

smford
Newbie Member

Post by smford » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:15 pm

Hello, thanks for the reply.

Below are the answers to your questions.
What is your current version?
v3.24.3.0 running on OSX Mojave 10.14.6

Code: Select all

Version: 3.24.3.0 (3.24.3)
Internet: QCAD.org
Build Date: Mar 16 2020
Revision: 6e718a8
Qt Version: 5.13.2
Architecture: x86_64
Compiler: Clang 10.0.0
Could you provide in a dxf or other source and the svg that is crippled?
Original DXF:
piCase1poly-camera-v3-reduced-number.dxf
original dxf file
(234.32 KiB) Downloaded 431 times
Exported SVG:
piCase1poly-camera-v3-reduced-number.svg
svg export of dxf
(94.53 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
Sure SVG support could be part of your cnc system but have you read the instructions and about the limitations?
Yes, I am aware of that but I'm only able to use svg's or pdfs. It's a limitation of my laser cutting software.

It being what? How do you know it has added random lines as you can't detect them.
There are four places where I see that random lines have been added because QCAD is in trial mode.
1. When I import the svg back in to qcad and zoom out
2. In the laser cutting software
3. When viewing the svg in a text editor (I can see 14 blocks of random lines added) <!-- Text: QCAD.org Trial Version Random lines added -->
4. In inkscape when I load the file it displays "QCAD.org Trial Version Random lines added" but not the lines and circles I have created.
Why would any CAD add random things?
It appears to have been enabled to discourage people using the trial indefinitely rather than paying for a licence. I feel that it has been overly crippled to allow an evaluation of QCAD.

Even when I import the exported svg back in to qcad, it does not allow me to edit or change any of the random lines added.
svg_loaded_in_to_qcad.png
exported svg imported back in to qcad
svg_loaded_in_to_qcad.png (87.11 KiB) Viewed 7518 times
svg_opened_in_text_editor.png
svg opened in text editor
svg_opened_in_text_editor.png (316.84 KiB) Viewed 7518 times
svg_loaded_in_to_inkscape.png
svg loaded in to inkscape
svg_loaded_in_to_inkscape.png (145.77 KiB) Viewed 7518 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:26 am

smford wrote:
I have used qcad 2.2.2 for a number of years very happily, but I now need to work with svg files.
Wow - I'm impressed. That was 12 years ago. I've the feeling that not only the svg import/export has changed over the years ... :wink:
smford wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:15 pm
Even when I import the exported svg back in to qcad, it does not allow me to edit or change any of the random lines added.
The QCAD trial version is not meant for productive use and I'm sure you can imagine why it is protected.
smford wrote:
My issue is that the SVG export in the trial is so crippled it cannot be evaluated.

Can you help with this?
I'll attache a simple QCAD Pro test drawing in dxf, svg and pdf. That should be good enough to test your cnc ability to read a QCAD Pro produced svg/pdf file.

Husky-2020.04.28-01.png
Husky-2020.04.28-01.png (10.84 KiB) Viewed 7487 times
test.dxf
(104.11 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
test.svg
(1.73 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
test.pdf
(47.37 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

smford
Newbie Member

Post by smford » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:34 pm

Hello Husky,

That is really helpful, thank you. I have been able to test and it cuts all good and to scale. I will be making a purchase of the newer version of QCAD because of your help.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:28 pm

Glad to hear that! I guess I'll see you around ... :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”