Slow Processing, Too Many Entities?

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

HowardGL19
Registered Member

Slow Processing, Too Many Entities?

Post by HowardGL19 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:34 am

Hello, I have recently downloaded the trial of QCAD in an attempt to prove it is a suitable replacement for Draftsight within our company.

I have been trying to find the limiting factors of the program in relation to our needs to the most extreme scenarios.

Upon opening a very large drawing with multiple layers and many many entities, it appears to load quickly which is good and the zoom/pan functions still operate reasonably well.
I attempted to copy a section of the drawing to paste into a black file in order to break down the drawing but this was very slow and painful.

Firstly I copied the section (5000 entities) with no modification, and it took some time for the command to run but eventually got there after a fair few minutes.
Secondly I grouped and made blocks of some sections of the drawing in an attempt to reduce the amount of entities there were selected, this reduced the selection to just 700 entities! A fairly manageable size for other programs such as Draftsight/AutoCAD Lite and a few others.
Trying to copy the reduced selection still look quite some time.

Selecting different quantities of entities it would appear that the software cannot process copying more than 100 entities very quickly.
Yes it achieves the end required result, but it is still relatively slow in comparison to other programs when processing only the small quantities of 100-300 entities.

Our main concern is of this processing speed issue, is there any possible streamlining expected in the near future? Is there some processing techniques we can use within the program to reduce processing times?

I respect that this software is perhaps not as advanced as some however with the potential of 10-15 licence purchases within the next few months, we need to determine which is most suitable for our application.

Thank you for your time.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Slow Processing, Too Many Entities?

Post by andrew » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:06 pm

I can confirm that the performance of QCAD is lower for such complex drawings. We are constantly looking into ways to improving this, but if you need a solution for larger, complex drawings now, QCAD might not be the right choice. It simply wasn't designed for this kind of drawings.

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Slow Processing, Too Many Entities?

Post by CVH » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:20 am

HowardGL19 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:34 am
Selecting different quantities of entities it would appear that the software cannot process copying more than 100 entities very quickly.
Yes it achieves the end required result, but it is still relatively slow in comparison to other programs when processing only the small quantities of 100-300 entities.
Curiosity killed the cat.
32bit or 64bit?

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”