Scaling zooms in and out drives me crazy.

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

cbush525
Newbie Member

Scaling zooms in and out drives me crazy.

Post by cbush525 » Fri May 24, 2019 3:01 am

I'm hoping it's a good 2D CAD program. Pro is about $40 correct? Need to do more testing. First tell me how to stop the scaling from zooming in and out. It drives me crazy! Maybe the free version is good enough but can't figure out how to get there?

Chuck

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Scaling zooms in and out drives me crazy.

Post by andrew » Fri May 24, 2019 9:12 am

cbush525 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:01 am
Pro is about $40 correct?
Yes.
cbush525 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:01 am
Need to do more testing. First tell me how to stop the scaling from zooming in and out.
Please elaborate. QCAD does not zoom in / out by itself.

Perhaps you are referring to the automatic grid scaling? This only affects the grid display. The reason for this is that the grid would otherwise become very dense when zooming out (useless) or very wide when zooming in (also useless). You can switch it off under Edit > Application Preferences > Graphics View > Grid > Automatically scale grid, but this is not recommended for the reasons outlined above.

cbush525
Newbie Member

Post by cbush525 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:39 pm

Thanks for your quick response.

It has to do with the Apple wireless mouse. If I switch to my wired mouse with the wheel the grid behaves itself. The wired mouse works OK. With the Apple wireless mouse QCAD (and Google Earth which is afflicted with the same problem) the sensitivity is magnified to the point of uselessness. The system mouse preferences don't help me.

A side comment. With my old circa 1998 Blueprint program there was a feature that when clicking it the drawing reverted to fixed starting point scale and location. I found that feature useful when I was buried in the fine points of a drawing and I wanted to get back to the "original". Does QCAD have something like that? I just found myself with a drawing with some rectangles and circles that were somewhere off the screen. It was a pain locating them again.

I turned off Auto scale grid and still the Apple wireless mouse is crazy sensitive. If I move my finger just a hair the drawing zooms and moves. Useless! Maybe I just have to use the wheeled wired mouse. It seem nobody, QCAD, Apple, Google, and Chuck claim responsibility.

Chuck

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri May 24, 2019 6:56 pm

cbush525 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:39 pm
the sensitivity is magnified to the point of uselessness.
You can set up the mouse wheel sensitivity under Edit > Application Preferences > Graphics View > Navigation > Mouse wheel zoom factor. 1.02 should work better for a magic mouse. Unfortunately, different mice have wildly different wheel behaviours, so there's no "one fits all" setting.
cbush525 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:39 pm
was a feature that when clicking it the drawing reverted to fixed starting point scale and location.
You can save any view with a name using View > Stored Views > Add View and restore any named view using the View List (View > View List) and click on the view to restore.

You can see the whole drawing using auto zoom (View > Zoom > Auto Zoom).

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”