Page 1 of 1

Opening Files with umlauts under Linux

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:26 am
by rainer
Hello, I am currently running the trial version of QCAD.

Looks good, but I had difficulties with importing AutoCAD .dwg files. Finally I found out that this is caused by the filename!

I am running my system without UTF-8. I use ISO-8859-15, because this simplifies life a lot (I use German language).

The file "Spindelhülse.dwg" caused an error when I tried to open/import it. I noticed that a different file "40-50.dwg" could be opened/imported. So I renamed the German Umlaut "ü" -> "ue" and it worked.

So from my point of view, QCAD has a problem with ISO-8859-15 ! e_geek

Re: Import of AutoCAD files

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:30 am
by andrew
Thanks for your report.

Please indicate what operating system (Windows, macOS, Linux) you are using and what version thereof, so we can try to reproduce the problem here. Thanks.

Re: Import of AutoCAD files

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:36 am
by rainer
Hello.

I use openSUSE 13.1 x64 - LINUX - here.

Desktop is KDE

I have disabled UTF8 in YaST.
~> locale
[email protected]
LC_CTYPE="[email protected]"
LC_NUMERIC="[email protected]"
LC_TIME="[email protected]"
LC_COLLATE="[email protected]"
LC_MONETARY="[email protected]"
LC_MESSAGES="[email protected]"
LC_PAPER="[email protected]"
LC_NAME="[email protected]"
LC_ADDRESS="[email protected]"
LC_TELEPHONE="[email protected]"
LC_MEASUREMENT="[email protected]"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="[email protected]"
LC_ALL=

Re: Opening Files with umlauts under Linux

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:11 am
by andrew
I've changed the title of this topic to better reflect the problem.

I don't think there is an easy solution. I cannot get umlauts in file names to display properly in the Qt file dialogs or even on a command line. At this point, I would suggest to avoid using umlauts in file names under Linux systems.

Re: Opening Files with umlauts under Linux

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:02 am
by hungerburg
Hello there,

No problem at all with diacritics &c on this system here with qcad 3.15.2, even on fat-formatted drives. "locale" output below, nationality or currency seems to matter not much; Unicode is what system installers for some years now default to, admins who disable stock features are to know the consequences. The world has more than some 200 different characters… (Ellipsis intended)

Code: Select all

$ locale
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=de_DE:en_GB:en
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=de_AT.UTF-8
LC_TIME=de_AT.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=de_AT.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=de_AT.UTF-8
LC_NAME=de_AT.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=de_AT.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=de_AT.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=de_AT.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=de_AT.UTF-8
LC_ALL=