[Solved - I guess] Possible New User: Coming From FastCAD

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Chips&Chips

[Solved - I guess] Possible New User: Coming From FastCAD

Post by Chips&Chips » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:54 pm

I have been a long time FastCAD and EasyCAD user; from the DOS days. I have a large number of files in the various file formats that those programs used. And I do know that Mike Riddle was the original author of AutoCAD before he started his own company with EasyCAD. Now that company seems to be no longer and there is no support for the FastCAD or EasyCAD programs and their file formats. I am using Windows 10 and do not have any version of QCAD yet.

In my files I have a large number of drawings in the EasyCAD and FastCAD formats including .FC7, .FCW, .DWG, .ECW, and possibly one or two more.

Can QCAD open any or all of these file formats? If not, is there an easy way to convert them to a format that QCAD can use?
Last edited by Chips&Chips on Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul A.
SE Texas
Windows 10
QCAD V 3.29.3.0

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Possible New User: Coming From FastCAD

Post by andrew » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:59 pm

Can QCAD open any or all of these file formats?
No. QCAD can read DWG files if the Autodesk DWG format is meant here.

You can find a complete list of supported formats at:
https://qcad.org/en/qcad-documentation/qcad-features

Your best chance is usually to export DXF from the original software as most CAD software supports the DXF standard.

Chips&Chips

Post by Chips&Chips » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:08 am

OK, so I would need to use FastCAD to re-open and re-save my existing files in one of those two formats.
Paul A.
SE Texas
Windows 10
QCAD V 3.29.3.0

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:51 am

andrew wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:59 pm
Your best chance is usually to export DXF from the original software as most CAD software supports the DXF standard.
As Andrew noted I would stick to DXF.
All depends if everything is compatible, if the DXF format supports all FastCAD/EasyCAD features.

Had the same issue with CadKey *.prt files and the CadKey DXF export wasn't even supported by CadKey itself.
Readable by QCAD but I needed to alter many things to display them back as before.
Prints and layouts where a big mess.
Trashed most of my older files about 5 years ago.

You can install and run QCAD Pro trial without any problem: https://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/download
Fully functional and removable from your system with almost no trace.

Regards,
CVH

SukiSolo
Registered Member

Re: [Solved - I guess] Possible New User: Coming From FastCAD

Post by SukiSolo » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:53 pm

I am also a long time FastCad user but based in the UK. I upgraded to the later Windows versions which are more accurate (floating point) wityhe Version 7 particularly using double precision. Not a problem with today's high powered machines.The Windows version was about 3.5Mb hardly a big program by Win standards.
The Windows version aof FastCad will batch convert entire directories, or you can maybe write a script to do it in DOS.

I personally have used Rhinoceros from before Version 1 through to current Release 8, so no problem with file conversions and different types into very different systems. Recently cleaned up some particularly dirty DWG and DXF files ie 3D not one plane 2D and also 48Km from origin (0,0) for a customer with Qcad. I also need proper hard 3D tools.

I note that Evolution Computing are once again selling FastCad in the US and UK. The version supported is from 2014, with relatively cheap upgrade cost.

In my opinion no 2D drafting software comes close to the ease and speed of FastCad with the MDE addon for good quality engineering drawings to this day. Windows slowed it down and made it probably easier for a lot of people but lost some benefits too, partly the interface and partly OOP (with Microsoft compatibility) and assembly code. A good 32 bit or 64 bit double precision version on decent hardware would fly.

CVH
Premier Member

Re: [Solved - I guess] Possible New User: Coming From FastCAD

Post by CVH » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:03 am

SukiSolo wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:53 pm
I note that Evolution Computing are once again selling FastCad in the US and UK. The version supported is from 2014, with relatively cheap upgrade cost.
https://fastcad.com/products.php
Updates start at $125 depending the current license.
FastCAD costs $595, EasyCAD $395
v6 is single precision.
Last version released on 28-June-2014
Supported on Win10 and that was released in 2015.

I won't even try downloading or paying for anything before I receive a confirmation mail from:
[email protected] or [email protected]
Or before the Forum is re-activated.

Regards,
CVH

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”