DWG file size limit?

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

dwk789
Newbie Member

DWG file size limit?

Post by dwk789 » Fri May 19, 2023 9:04 pm

Hello,

Before I buy QCAD I'm just trying it out.

To try test opening dwg files I opened 7 dwg's. No problem with 6 of them. Very good in fact.

However No7 has issues.

It is a big file. Approximately 20 years old but still being used with the latest Autocad. Its a factory layout with approximately 10 layout tabs.

QCAD does open it eventually but its slow. Once its open everything QCAD does is slow, very slow like its struggling to cope with the file size.
Its been used mainly with Autocad but occasionally I think it was opened with Draftsight.
I can't see any of the layout's yet but I suspect thats my inexperience with QCAD

Could there be issues with a file size?

Thank you,

CVH
Premier Member

Re: DWG file size limit?

Post by CVH » Fri May 19, 2023 9:34 pm

dwk789 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 9:04 pm
It is a big file. Approximately 20 years old
Age does not matter but size may. :lol:

You did not specify how large it is as dwg.
The dwg format is binary while dxf is textual.

10 layouts won't matter but 10 layouts with several hundred thousands drawing entities may.
The structure may also matter ... Then I am referring to: https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic. ... 860#p40843
Why making things that complex?
Some settings and certainly some drawing habits may influence what is workable and what not.

Probably the mentioned file is proprietary and you do not want to share it on a public forum.
You could sent it to one of the moderators by Private Message (PM).

Regards,
CVH

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri May 19, 2023 10:12 pm

dwk789 wrote:
To try test opening dwg files I opened 7 dwg's. No problem with 6 of them. Very good in fact.
Well - 85,7142857 % down, 14.2857143 % to go ... :lol: :lol: :wink:
dwk789 wrote:
However No7 has issues.

It is a big file. Approximately 20 years old but still being used with the latest Autocad. Its a factory layout with approximately 10 layout tabs.

QCAD does open it eventually but its slow. Once its open everything QCAD does is slow, very slow like its struggling to cope with the file size.
Its been used mainly with Autocad but occasionally I think it was opened with Draftsight.
I can't see any of the layout's yet but I suspect thats my inexperience with QCAD

Could there be issues with a file size?
Yes and no - depends on the used entities and structure/organization (massive blocks, intensive hatching and/or text etc. etc.) of the drawing. BTW: The statement large drawing is a relative statement. However - QCAD is not build for extrem large drawings but if you know what to watch for a large drawing can be still processed at a convenient speed.

Again - to tell if that drawing in question is at the edge of what QCAD is able to handle can only be answered by an investigation of that particular drawing itself. Please attache the drawing to your post and we will share our honest opinion (even if that kicks QCAD Pro out of the race ...). :shock:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

dwk789
Newbie Member

Post by dwk789 » Sat May 20, 2023 9:32 am

Hello,

The file is 12.8MB.

Its content isn't confiential but I still wouldn't like it spread over the internet!
I will send it to you by PM just for an opinion. Its a very untidy file. Many people have used it over the years.

Its rare that I'm likely to come across such an untidy large file like this at home so I expect I will purchase QCAD. Its good value for money and is likely to satisfy what I'm likely to do at home for the forseable future. I actually like the whole idea of QCAD. A little bit of getting used too but not too much I suspect.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sat May 20, 2023 10:13 pm

dwk789 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 9:32 am
The file is 12.8MB.

Its content isn't confiential but I still wouldn't like it spread over the internet!
I will send it to you by PM just for an opinion. Its a very untidy file. Many people have used it over the years.
Ok, go ahead. :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sat May 20, 2023 10:39 pm

dwk789,

I am unable to open the file that I received by PM.
Sorry to not being able to assist you, the file and all possible copies where deleted over here.

Please re-PM the file to Husky.
(I am not yet been able to address more that one member by PM either. :wink:)

Regards,
CVH

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”