copy between drawings

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in the QCAD Community Edition.

Moderator: andrew

Z.K.
Newbie Member

copy between drawings

Post by Z.K. » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:13 pm

How do I copy from one drawing to another. I have tried everything that I can think of. I tried the suggestion from this forum as in Select->select all, edit->copy. Then I go to my new drawing and edit->paste and I get a set reference point in the command line, but I am not allowed to do anything. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, I am using QCAD for windows on Windows7 64-bit version 2.0.5.0.

:?

[Edit by Admin: moved topic to Community Edition Forum]

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:20 am

Hi ZK
Did you work this out?

I`m too am using Win 7 -64 and haven`t found any problems with select>edit copy>edit paste to a new drawing!

Showle1943
Registered Member

Re:

Post by Showle1943 » Mon May 28, 2012 2:05 am

clive wrote:Hi ZK
Did you work this out?

I`m too am using Win 7 -64 and haven`t found any problems with select>edit copy>edit paste to a new drawing!
I agree. I have been using win 7 since it was released so I'm sure the problem isn't inherent in the system. That said, has the function EVER worked for you in the win 7 environment? If so, you might try a restore from an earlier restoration point. If it's NEVER worked you might try uninstalling then reinstalling the software.

tmno2
Registered Member

Re: copy between drawings

Post by tmno2 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:57 am

While not being a highly qualified user of QCAD yet, I suggest that it would be necessary to set the "reference point" within the data being copied, relevant to the "from drawing" first. Then the "reference point" should travel with the copied data, to allow "exact" placement within the drawing you are ciopying to.

It is my opinion, that all drawings within the .dxf file are related to a single "zero reference point", I may be wrong, but that is my reading of the "DXF" file construction.

Somebody will, no doubt, jump in to tell me, if I am incorrect in my conclusion.

Hope this may help.

tmno2

//
Edited.

Afterthought:

There are two types of "zero reference points"

1. " Absolute zero" : being the main reference to which all the drawing data relates.
and
2. "Relative Zero " : being the placement of data anywhere relative to the drawing's original " Absolute Zero".

I think that is how it is all glued together and stays that way

tmno2

currystomper
Registered Member

Post by currystomper » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:35 am

I had a problem with this and the problem was that I created two instantiates of the program, rather than opening up both drawings as windows in the same program.

So the copy and paste function only works within the program and is not system wide!!

(not a problem if you know that) - but if you just click on two drawings to open them up - it will come up as two instantiates of the program and you will not be able to cut and paste.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:42 am

currystomper wrote:but if you just click on two drawings to open them up - it will come up as two instantiates of the program and you will not be able to cut and paste.
That should not be the case. What system are you using? And what is your exact QCAD version?

Return to “QCAD Community 'How Do I' Questions”